Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak service in Iowa.

Date: 01/27/15 10:03
Amtrak service in Iowa.
Author: bluesboyst

Date: 01/27/15 15:33
Re: Amtrak service in Iowa.
Author: bretton88

Living in Iowa, I don't think Brandstadt is opposed to Amtrak, but he's also not going to expend political capital on convincing the hard line republicans in the house to invest in the train (whom many consider Brandstadt to be too liberal, in the first place). So unfortunately this train is DOA.

Date: 01/27/15 18:22
Author: bluesboyst

Geez, why when some states seem to be moving in the right direction it gets squashed...

Date: 01/28/15 04:26
Author: rswebber

There is an obvious solution to this and other anti-Amtrak lack of funding. Make Amtrak a non-government corporation, then it will be well situated for corporate subsides - better yet, not only make it a non-government corporation, but indicate that the square miles of right of way are agricultural, and then they can get paid for NOT growing anything. Bingo! All funding issues cured.

Corp. subsidies in the US total more than the military and personal services (i.e. medicaid, education, etc.). So...obviously, at least THAT would be palatable for these guys.

Date: 01/28/15 14:21
Author: DonNadeau

In my opinion, there may be a better way.

Take away most or all subsidies for all forms of public interstate transportation and level the playing field. At least one small airport, federal taxpayers contribute over $3000 for every passenger carried! I am not making this up.

That people are using our tax money to fly between NYC and the city of Washington, DC is ridiculous. That distance is a natural rail market.

rswebber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is an obvious solution to this and other
> anti-Amtrak lack of funding. Make Amtrak a
> non-government corporation, then it will be well
> situated for corporate subsides - better yet, not
> only make it a non-government corporation, but
> indicate that the square miles of right of way are
> agricultural, and then they can get paid for NOT
> growing anything. Bingo! All funding issues
> cured.
>
> Corp. subsidies in the US total more than the
> military and personal services (i.e. medicaid,
> education, etc.). So...obviously, at least THAT
> would be palatable for these guys.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds