Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Passenger Trains > Metrolink Heads-up for Coast Line and maybe Central Valley

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/28/15 21:12
Metrolink Heads-up for Coast Line and maybe Central Valley
Author: webmaster

Today I was with Mason at the Western Prototype convention and this huge string of Metrolink cars pulled into the San Bernardino station.  I overheard some fans talking that the outgoing crew said the train was headed to the Bay Area.  I don't have any idea when it is going to leave or where it is headed. It may have already left, or it may be headed somewhere else. I don't know much except to share this huge train came into San Bernardino this afternoon and stopped.  We did not hang out as we had to head for home early from the convention to meet my plumber for an emergency leak repair in my garage.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 03/28/15 21:24
Re: Metrolink Heads-up for Coast Line and maybe Central Valley
Author: shed47

The JPBX reporting marks are Caltrain's.  The following link from Green Caltrain indicates some cars may go into service immediately to form six car trainsets(with more bike capacity).  Looks like a contract to rehab all these cars has yet to be awarded.
http://www.greencaltrain.com/2015/01/caltrain-to-add-bike-capacity-with-used-cars-from-metrolink/
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3513490,3514149#msg-3514149

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/15 21:26 by shed47.

Date: 03/28/15 21:26
Author: coach

CALTRAIN has publicly announced they have bought these cars, will be refurbishing them, and expanding trainsets on CALTRAIN to 6-7 cars for peak hour service.

I delivered freight to ALSTOM's passenger rail car center the other day on Mare Island for my trucking company, and the cars may go there for work.  Not sure yet.

And I wonder why they didn't just head on up the Coast line, being CALTRAIN is on the Coast line.  Via Tehachapi instead?  Seems to be the long way...

Coach

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/15 21:30 by coach.

Date: 03/28/15 21:27
Author: sactobob

These cars are probably the ones that Caltrain is going to buy or lease to help ease their severe capacity crunch until they receive their new electric MU cars.

Date: 03/28/15 21:34
Author: GP25

I also had thought ACE was also looking to get some cars?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 03/28/15 21:40
Author: tinytrains

Todd,

I must have been standing beside you, as I was about to post the exact same pictures!

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 03/28/15 21:47
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Would they go via Tehachapi because there are
far more crews qualified on the SJ Valley than on
the Coast Line?  Might they just be added to a
regular freight? 

TIA!

Date: 03/28/15 22:10
Author: cchan006

Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would they go via Tehachapi because there are
> far more crews qualified on the SJ Valley than on
> the Coast Line?  Might they just be added to a
> regular freight? 
>
> TIA!

If BNSF is taking the cars, going Tehachapi via trackage rights makes sense. They'll eventually have to be interchanged to the UP, at Stockton or Oakland??

If UP can grab the cars in SoCal, then why not take them up the Coast?

Just speculating...

Date: 03/29/15 01:51
Author: Fizzboy7

Dang, you know are you getting old when others are now buying out Metrolink equipment.   

Date: 03/29/15 09:06
Author: FrensicPic

Perhaps Amtrak and the Coast Starlight can take them up the coast to San Jose or Oakland? 

Date: 03/29/15 10:03
Author: PHall

Fizzboy7 Wrote:
> Dang, you know are you getting old when others are
> now buying out Metrolink equipment.   

Yeah, notice that these are the original riveted cars from the 100 series.

Date: 03/29/15 10:12
Author: rtd1121

The train left about 4:00 PM, I chased as far as Pomona, just barely got there ahead of the train. Metrolink 800 and an F59PHI were on the point. Reports said that CalTrain is getting 16 cars, through my notes and photos I only have numbers of 14 cars. It is a good chance I missed a couple cars. Here is what I have from my photos and notes. 

164, 167, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 175, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 and 182

Date: 03/29/15 10:40
Author: webmaster

rtd1121 Wrote:
> The train left about 4:00 PM, I chased as far as
> Pomona, just barely got there ahead of the train.

Sound like it is headed to Los Angeles. Were these stored somewhere out in San Bernardino and being collected together?  Perhaps it will head up the Coast or through Soledad Canyon and over Tehachapi... if it hasn't already.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 03/29/15 10:47

Yes the train did head west. The cars were probably over at the Metrolink facility in Colton where they stored many of the out of service Comet Cars.  

Map Location

Date: 03/29/15 12:00
Author: railwaybaron

RATS! I missed Metrolink 800 again! I was also on the San Berdoo platform thinking the train was heading east, instead it went west!!! The Athearn boys at the prototype show missed an opportunity to shoot photos so the could re-issue their much sort-after Bombardier rivet cars in a weathered patched scheme.

Date: 03/29/15 12:02

I got plenty of shots of the patches. If Athearn wants them all they have to do is ask! 

Date: 03/29/15 17:27
Author: Topfuel

Great move on Metrolink's part, selling perfectly good cars that they may well end up needing in the future when (if) ridership picks up in coming years.  New cars are far more expensive (and take years to be delivered) than storing cars that are not needed for the moment.

Good move on Caltrain's part, picking up those same perfectly good cars at bargain prices.

Date: 03/29/15 18:09
Author: northridgeswitcher

Agree with Topfule.  Not a good business move for Metrolink. 

Must assume this deal was already inked before the arrival of the new CEO a couple of weeks back.

As Topfule says selling off equipment that will be needed "If" they attend to grow is strange at best unless Metrolink is that cash strapped that the few million (as posted not all of the stated sale price will go to Metrolink some is for the Caltrains overall of the cars) will really make a difference.

Northridge Switcher

Date: 03/29/15 18:26
Author: Phantom_of_Cajon

Don't forget . . . Metrolink is divesting itself of all those "unsafe" cars only to replace with the "super" safe new cars . . .   

Date: 03/29/15 18:41

Metrolink has surplus with the arrival of the Rotems. If they ever need cars they still have plenty of Bombardier cab cars that can be used as coaches.

Posted from iPhone

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds