Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Passenger Trains > New use for old baggage cars

Date: 04/23/15 10:38
New use for old baggage cars
Author: cp-140

I'm starting to observe the use of baggage cars on the Illinois Carbondale-Chicago trains to fill out the minimum train length requirement of CN. Here is Amtrak 390 south of Mattoon, Illinois with three baggage cars. Somebody has a great idea. Why waste possible revenue producing cars to meet the requirement.

Mike

Date: 04/23/15 11:32
Re: New use for old baggage cars
Author: filmteknik

They've been running some Carbondale trains pull - pull as well (engines at both ends).  I don't know if the cars used permit MU through the train.

Date: 04/23/15 11:41
Author: ClubCar

filmteknik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They've been running some Carbondale trains pull -
> pull as well (engines at both ends).  I don't
> know if the cars used permit MU through the train.
Amtrak baggage cars allow MU through their trains.

Date: 04/23/15 11:58
Author: AmHog

They may allow HEP through the bag cars but most don't allow MU through the cars.

Date: 04/23/15 12:16
Author: zfan

What's MU?

Date: 04/23/15 12:16
Author: GP25

I would think they can have MU Lines run through the Baggage cars. I use to see some of these Baggage Cars
On the Pacific Surfliner. When they was using the Single level Cars. 

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 04/23/15 12:25
Author: Jaanfo

zfan Wrote:
> What's MU?

"Multiple Unit"

It refers to the cable and/or air hose connections necessary to link multiple locomotives up so they operate in concert with each other from one control stand.

Date: 04/23/15 13:30
Author: P

I like the photo.  Also, yes, this is a good idea if they MUST meet the minimum axle requirement - which I'm not sure I understand why no other railroad his this requirement/issue. 

Date: 04/23/15 13:38
Author: webmaster

I am sure they can squeeze some revenue out of those empty cars while they are traveling between cities:

Mobile church on Sunday.... Amchurch
Inmate housing....   Amjail
Community college classes on the go....   Amcollege
Mobile gym... Amcercize  
Multi level marketing seminars.... Amway
Line dancing classes... Amdance
Indoor shooting range ....Amrange
Lost & found swap meet.... Amcrap
Rolling post office .... oh yeah,  that's been done already

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 04/23/15 14:03
Author: cp-140

Those are all great ideas Todd. It is funny you mention Amjail. This picture from Effingham, Illinois shows newly released inmates (in white sweat suits) from a local state prison waiting to board Amtrak 390 for Chicago. Since the state of Illinois subsidizes the train at least for now why not take advantage of it.   Mike

Date: 04/23/15 15:29
Author: ClubCar

AmHog Wrote:
> They may allow HEP through the bag cars but most
> don't allow MU through the cars.

Oh yeah?  Says who?  All the baggage cars that I have seen with Amtrak have MU cables since they have been in service on many push/pull trains.  I know that the private cars have to have MU wired through them to operate with Amtrak.

Date: 04/23/15 18:48
Author: LoadLimited

All the heritage bag cars have 27-pin comm cable receptacles identified by the blue cover, on both sides of both ends of the car. The function of the comm cables are, among other things, for passing thru the PA system and the conductors push button signal.

All have a dummy receptacle next to the comm receptacle on the right end of each car, identified by the white cover, used for plugging the cable back into itself such as on the last car of a train.

Very few heritage bags received MU receptacles, identified by the black cover, located next to the comm and dummy receptacles.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/15 18:54 by LoadLimited.

Date: 04/23/15 19:35
Author: jp1822

P Wrote:
> I like the photo.  Also, yes, this is a good idea
> if they MUST meet the minimum axle requirement -
> which I'm not sure I understand why no other
> railroad his this requirement/issue. 

Well if they have to meet the minimum, what can Amtrak put in the baggage cars to create revenue........I saw a grainary in the background!!!! What can be transported on the line beside passengers!!!  :-)

Date: 04/24/15 06:45

Wait....PV's need MU wiring & piping?   Is that a general requirement or only if one wants to run on a push/pull train?

Date: 04/24/15 06:59
Author: mbrotzman

Why is there such a long "minimum" train length o.0

Date: 04/24/15 07:14
Author: mcdeo

I know SF/BNSF has had a minimum number of axles for some of the steam specials. If I recall, it's based on braking ability forces that are needed for a 'safe' operation. My guess is that the host railroad for this train has a similar requirement. 

Although, then you see locals like in this thread with 1 car. http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3724874,3724874#3724874

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 04/24/15 11:52
Author: frntinplate

Some RR's require a certain number of axles to ensure proper rail shunting for signals.   If this is the case for CN, not sure why so many cars, however.  It could be this line has few freights  (anyone know the approximate number of freight trains that use this line instead of the Edgewood cutoff??) then with the midwestern climate rails can rust quickly and lose shunting performance.   Braking could also be an issue, but this seems like a lot of cars.

Date: 04/24/15 14:42
Author: dcautley

PV do not (currently) require the MU wiring.
As of this past fall, the Comm line is required (it wasn't before then).
The MU line is "encouraged" but leaving it off only means you can't take your car on a push-pull train. Depending on the state of confusion on the bottom of your car, it could be a real PITA to find space for two more conduit runs from one end to the other, which is what 27 wires takes -- unless you want to run 2+ inch conduit.  Parts alone (no labor, no conduit) are in the $5-6,000 range for each 27 pin line.

-dc

Date: 04/24/15 14:52
Author: ATSF1129

From what I seem to recall on here, CN put the minimum number of axles after one of their own signal maintainers left a crossing cut out and Amtrak ended up hitting someone because of the maintainer's mistake.  Instead of placing blame within their own ranks, CN said it was because Amtrak's short train length that cause the signals not to activate. 

Date: 04/24/15 21:51

Doesn't the Amtrak contract require them to indemnify the carrier for anything and everything that happens?  If so then there is no reason to make stuff up.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0862 seconds