Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Passenger Trains > #49 LSL Disruption

Date: 05/27/15 20:41
#49 LSL Disruption
Author: mp16

Track a Train showing it currnetly 4 hrs late at Schenectday. Dixieland site shows no arrival departure times.
Anybody know what's up ? TIA

Date: 05/27/15 20:47
Re: #49 LSL Disruption
Author: GenePoon

As mentioned in an earlier thread, it was a real CLUSTER**** at Amtrak's Sunnyside Yard today due
to a catenary power outage.  Amtrak could not originate trains out of New York and was only operating
its through Boston-Washington trains and Keystones, which being push-pull, could be turned on the
platforms.  The Lake Shore was caught up in the snafu; but it is, in the big scheme of things, small
potatoes.

As bad as it was for Amtrak, for NJ Transit it was worse, and impacted many more riders.  The
few trains that arrived at Penn Station were turned on the platforms but this left NJT short of rush
hour consists; most of the rush hour saw trains cancelled or much delayed.  New Jersey Transit
did not return to "normal" operations until late at night, less than an hour ago.

Date: 05/27/15 20:54
Author: toledopatch

Other than stalled trains potentially being in their way, why would any of the Empire Service or other trains powered by dual-mode diesels out of New York be affected by a catenary outage at Sunnyside?

Date: 05/27/15 20:57
Author: GenePoon

The Empire Service equipment goes to Sunnyside to be serviced, cleaned and turned.

Being stuck behind motionless electric-powered trains is quite enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/15 21:01 by GenePoon.

Date: 05/28/15 03:28
Author: rainbowhasabeard

But what the kids really want to know is - does anyone know if locomotive #156 in the consist?

My 10-year-old son is overwraught with anticipation regarding the possibility.

I think he may be contemplating truancy. 

Date: 05/28/15 05:49
Author: march_hare

Along the lines of "late trains get later" the first two Empire Service trains that got out yesterday encountered slow orders south of Hudson on account of violent thunderstorm damage.  I was on the first car of the first train, and we heard loud scratching noise at one point, where we were clearly rubbing up against foliage.  The second train was right on our blocks all the way to Albany, so I assume he had the same experience.

The Late for Sure was not posted on the departures board when we left, so its possible he encountered even more delay if they sent a chain saw crew in to remove whatever it was that we hit.

So ends a lengthy personal streak of pretty good performance on this route.  I ride an average of 10-15 trips a year, and haven't been more than a few minutes late since 2012.  The on board crew, by the way, was excellent.  Did several announcements of what was going on.  Overall customer satisfaction was nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

Gotta believe it was a different situation for NJT passengers...

Date: 05/28/15 08:10
Author: toledopatch

156 is leading this train. Leaving Toledo shortly

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/28/15 19:01
Author: Lackawanna484

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Along the lines of "late trains get later" the
> first two Empire Service trains that got out
> yesterday encountered slow orders south of Hudson
> on account of violent thunderstorm damage.  I was
> on the first car of the first train, and we heard
> loud scratching noise at one point, where we were
> clearly rubbing up against foliage.  The second
> train was right on our blocks all the way to
> Albany, so I assume he had the same experience.
>
> The Late for Sure was not posted on the departures
> board when we left, so its possible he encountered
> even more delay if they sent a chain saw crew in
> to remove whatever it was that we hit.
>
> So ends a lengthy personal streak of pretty good
> performance on this route.  I ride an average of
> 10-15 trips a year, and haven't been more than a
> few minutes late since 2012.  The on board crew,
> by the way, was excellent.  Did several
> announcements of what was going on.  Overall
> customer satisfaction was nowhere near as bad as
> it could have been.
>
> Gotta believe it was a different situation for NJT
> passengers...

There was an enormous line of thunderstorms with lots of wind in the Ulster, Dutchess, Litchfield area yesterday around dinner time. Some minor flash flooding, lots of trees down, etc

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds