Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Passenger Trains > Need Help

Date: 02/13/16 13:40
Need Help
Author: edsaalig

Which is the better schedule?  Going Vancouver to Toronto or Toronta to Vancouver via VIA.  I'm going to try their "new" Prestige Sleeper Class.  I will assume the train will be late in either direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/16 13:41 by edsaalig.

Date: 02/13/16 14:41
Re: Need Help
Author: Woodman

Made the trip from Van to Tor three times and I think that it is a better trip.  You will enjoy either way. I think you have more things to see this way than the other way.  Darkness does not mess you up as much.  BUT each to his own.  Don't forget your passport!

Date: 02/13/16 14:47
Author: BigSkyBlue

I think the eastbound #2 is better, because at least you will leave on time from Vancouver.  If #2 is late enough into Toronto, your late night departure could be delayed.

Regardless, it's a great ride.  BSB 

Date: 02/13/16 18:43
Author: viatrainrider

I think scenery wise, Vancouver to Toronto.  However, in my experience more apt to be on time or not too late westbound into Vancouver.  I was into Vancouver Feb 3, one half hour early.  Going back eastbound, did not get into Toronto until 1:30 PM, thanks to CN.  However, that was not as bad as the previous trip when I got into Toronto at 6:30 PM.  And if you should happen to be way late westbound and miss Rockies in daylight, chances are you will see far west end Frazer River canyon, etc. by daylight which is great scenery, also.  Eastbound don't plan same day connections.

Enjoy the trip.  Even late, best regularly scheduled passenger train in north America.  Only problem for me, however, is that food is so good, I put on eight pounds WPG - Vancouver - Toronto - WPG!!!  Back to the gym!!!

Date: 02/13/16 20:33
Author: edsaalig

I plan to stay at the Fairmont Royal York for two nights.

Date: 02/13/16 22:13
Author: railwaybaron

West to East is best.

Date: 02/14/16 03:40
Author: sums007

edsaalig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I plan to stay at the Fairmont Royal York for two
> nights.

Nice place.  Top of the line.  I stayed there on a transfer from VIA2 to Amtrak 365 on my way to Chicago.

Date: 02/14/16 10:17
Author: GrandePete

I prefer the East to West trip.  I enjoyed traveling through the pine forests and plains knowing the spectacular Rockies would be the grand finale.

Date: 02/15/16 12:51
Author: bobs

I've gone both directions and both have advantages.

Going west you get the Rockies at the end (something to look forward to), and Frasier Canyon in daylight.  You also get some time in Winnipeg to wander around (I had almost 4 hours) and Calgary in daylight, although you are not in town, so not much to see by the station.

Both ways give you a dose of Ontario's forests and lakes as well as the plains of SK.  Both also give you an opportunity to walk around Jasper in daylight.

Going east you have the sun behind you, rather than in front of you, so photography is easier.  You leave at a more civilized hour from Vancouver than from Toronto, although scheduled arrivals are about the same.  I've heard that the tax is less if you depart from Vancouver instead of Toronto.

Scenery is really great in either direction.  You can't go wrong taking the Canadian either way.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds