Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Passenger Trains > Heavy Police Activity at 30th St Station

Date: 07/24/16 19:49
Heavy Police Activity at 30th St Station
Author: amtrakbill

20 Homeland Security Guards throughout the station because of this: 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/16 20:26 by amtrakbill.

Date: 07/24/16 20:33
Re: Heavy Police Activity at 30th St Station
Author: Out_Of_Service

ok where's the photo of the cops since that's you're titlte heading ...

Date: 07/24/16 20:37
Author: agentatascadero

Not sure where you're going with this, or your implication.  Sounds more like SOP to me.  Same with the extra security out on the streets.  Holding my mouth shut to avoid letting sarcasm out.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/24/16 20:44
Author: darkcloud

I'm sure there's a lot more undercover, too.  Good.  They built a 4-mile wall around the convention, too (irony).  I guess all the stations are outside the wall, or are any closed?

Perfect that Commiecast is a sponsor.

Date: 07/24/16 20:47
Author: PHall

So why exactly are you surprised that there's extra security?
Me thinks you're making a mountain out of a very, very small molehill.

Date: 07/24/16 20:49
Author: MojaveBill

Standard procedure at all political conventions...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/24/16 20:56
Author: mundo

Oh Hum!     Is it that quiet for real news.

Date: 07/24/16 21:04
Author: CarolVoss

I dont think there is anything different from the high level security in Cleveland last week-- obviously it will be as high and intense.  

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 07/24/16 21:29
Author: justalurker66

amtrakbill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 20 Homeland Security Guards throughout the station because of this: 

Only 20? Only the beginning ...

Good to see you didn't risk publishing a photo of police activity. <rolleyes>

Date: 07/25/16 05:18

Didn't think it was cool to take pictures of brave men and women in their uniforms.  I travel to 30th St often - believe me when I say it there was a HEAVY police presence there.  

Date: 07/25/16 09:08
Author: RS11

I don't get it I guess.  There's a convention going on and police presence is higher, just like any other convention of his kind.
I'll just stay home and watch in comfort.

Date: 07/25/16 09:32
Author: knotch8

Thanks, amtrakbill.  I don't think you meant anything except to make a statement about increased security because of the Democratic National Convention.

Don't know about that 4-mile "wall" around the Wells Fargo Center, which is the center of Convention activity.  The SEPTA Broad St Line AT&T (former Pattison) station is open adjacent to the Wells Fargo Center.  I-95 is open, and it's only 50 yares  south of the Center, although I see advisories that no vehicle heavier than 5 tons can travel on it.  Everything seems to be open, with rolling blockages for VIP/high-security moves, just as when streets are closed for 30 minutes in DC when POTUS is moving around.

Date: 07/25/16 09:44
Author: Lackawanna484

The original convention warning mentioned that security would be tight, and that rolling freeze zones would be used. It also mentioned that weight restrictions on vehicles would be imposed (and that was before the Nice truck incident).

There was some concern that nearby I-95 which is on a viaduct would be closed, but I don't think they've done that yet

Date: 07/25/16 10:02
Author: Out_Of_Service

darkcloud Wrote:
> I'm sure there's a lot more undercover, too.
>  Good.  They built a 4-mile wall around the
> convention, too (irony).  I guess all the
> stations are outside the wall, or are any closed?
>
> Perfect that Commiecast is a sponsor.

when i was doing track inspection in the staion during the 2000 Republican Convention my buddy was my watchamn (mandatory on the NEC ) ...his cousin was a Secret Service Agent and we ran into him in plain clothes at track level walking his police dog ... there were agents on every platform on each end and some we had to protect walking the tracks of both North and South Penn intelockings 

Date: 07/25/16 11:56
Author: PennPlat

Brian and Dave with their army of lobbyist couldn't get their hands around TimeWarner.  Wonderful!

Date: 07/25/16 12:09
Author: knotch8

For those of you who haven't been swallowed by the behemoth that is Comcast, "Brian and Dave" means CEO Brian Roberts and VP of Something David Cohen, also a big-time Philly lobbyist.

Date: 07/25/16 12:38

Philly is the hometown of Comcast.  You may hate Comcast but they do a lot for that city.  Of course their being the broadband provider for the DNC allows them to rub shoulders with people who make the laws.  While it didn't work with the Time Warner merger they are very smart people.  They have never missed a quarterly earning with Wall St in 20 some years.  They know how to print money.

The skyline of Philly includes the tallest building being Comcast and another being added to be taller than that which also will be Comcast.  

Date: 07/25/16 21:36
Author: cchan006

RS11 Wrote:
> I don't get it I guess.  There's a convention
> going on and police presence is higher, just like
> any other convention of his kind.
> I'll just stay home and watch in comfort.

I was in Japan during the G7 Summit. Police made sure their presence were known, and I got rare glimpses of Japanese policemen (and policewomen) wearing bullet proof vests. The increased security presence was felt at all major cities (Hiroshima, Osaka, Nagoya, Tokyo). It was nice to be able to visit multiple cities in one day with the Shinkansen to witness that.

It didn't stop me from my foaming and hiking trips, but thanks to the advanced alerts sent to mass media, I was able to change my plans and NOT go hiking in the mountains about ~40 miles away from where the summit was taking place on the same day. Instead, I spent some time around Tokyo and went north (opposite direction from where the summit was). I guess Japanese police are trained to recognize foamers. I was observed, but they didn't interfere or question me when I was taking photos and video.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds