Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Passenger Trains > Via #2 - East of Kamloops Today

Date: 02/18/17 16:16
Via #2 - East of Kamloops Today
Author: Train611

Hello to all...

Via #2 was running about 3.5 hours late this morning as it departed Kamloops BC.

1. Via 6457 leads 6436 and 11 coaches at MP 132.5 on the Clearwater Sub.

2. The horn is blowing for up-coming crossing just east of MP 132.

3. About 20 minutes later Train 311 with CN3008 leads 155 cars and a mid-train helper (CN3108) throuh the curve about 7 miles from Kamloops Yard.

Less snow & milder...getting better out there!

Thanks for looking!

Date: 02/18/17 16:55
Re: Via #2 - East of Kamloops Today
Author: Lark

Great shots -- Thank you!  Does The Canadian typically incorporate both Manor and Chateau Cars or one over the other... ?  This in addition to the Prestige Class equipment.

Date: 02/18/17 17:36
Author: DrawingroomA

Lark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shots -- Thank you!  Does The Canadian
> typically incorporate both Manor and Chateau Cars
> or one over the other... ?  This in addition to
> the Prestige Class equipment.

Normally, Manor sleepers are used. There are 40 in the fleet and, in peak season, each of the four consists has 10. So extra sleepers, operated on an as-required basis, are of the Chateau series. Last summer I saw as many as five on a train, although there were usually fewer and on many trains none except, of course, the Prestige Chateau sleepers.

Date: 02/19/17 03:16
Author: andersonb109

Why is the train losing so much time between Vancouver and Kamloops? In my many experiences, that portion of the route has the best timekeeping.  With the extra equipment in Vancouver, it normally leaves on time and there is directional running in the Fraser Canyon. Last time on No. 1 we left Jasper over two hours late and arrived into Vancouver early.  While I'm looking forward to my upcoming trip on No. 2, I'm not excited to be  boarding in Edmonton in the middle of the night. Especially with only that tiny totally inadequate station to wait in. 

Date: 02/19/17 06:44
Author: DrawingroomA

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is the train losing so much time between
> Vancouver and Kamloops? In my many experiences,
> that portion of the route has the best
> timekeeping.  With the extra equipment in
> Vancouver, it normally leaves on time and there is
> directional running in the Fraser Canyon. Last
> time on No. 1 we left Jasper over two hours late
> and arrived into Vancouver early.  While I'm
> looking forward to my upcoming trip on No. 2, I'm
> not excited to be  boarding in Edmonton in the
> middle of the night. Especially with only that
> tiny totally inadequate station to wait in. 

Indeed, I have been wondering the same. On all my recent trips on #2 we have arrived in Kamloops early. Jasper is usually early as well. Most of the time it is after Jasper that the lateness occurs. I did have one trip of the last six that was on time almost everywhere and arrived in Toronto an hour early.  I have had opportunities to board #2 in Winnipeg but have declined that risk in the past four years. On four of the five times I have been aboard #2 from Vancouver, Winnipeg arrivals have been between 12:30 and 4:00 a.m. so I am not likely to use #2 to or from Winnipeg. Taking the westbound train is not as risky because even if considerably late, arrival at major stops like Winnipeg and Edmonton is usually the same calendar day on which it is due.

Date: 02/19/17 09:44
Author: sarailfan

> Why is the train losing so much time between
> Vancouver and Kamloops? In my many experiences,
> that portion of the route has the best
> timekeeping.

The last couple weeks there's been major issues with the highways through the canyon due to multiple rock mud and snow slides. I haven't heard if any of them also affected the railroad but it would stand to reason. There was a prolonged cold snap with lots of snow, followed by a significant and wet warm up which is always a recipe to have rock moving.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 02/19/17 09:50
Author: cp1400

The recent delays in the Fraser and Thompson River canyons have been weather related. Heavy snow at the start of February on top of leftover snow from the start of January created a high avalanche risk. Throw in melting snow and ice with constant temperature fluctuations resulting in rock and mud slides becoming common the whole length of the two canyons. All trains are running at restricted speed because slide detector fences have been compromised. Add in the 30+ freight trains and recent BNSF detour trains in each direction all going 10mph in places and congestion reins. Via has no priority. I would say the railroads have done a credible job of getting Via through this mess each time it has run. Once the ground stabilizes and weather improves so will timekeeping.

cp1400

Date: 02/19/17 15:19
Author: WichitaJct

Really like that first photo, classy photo of a classy train. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 02/20/17 18:00
Author: viatrainrider

Boarding   #2 in WPG can be hard as I learned a few years back departing eastbound at 4:15 AM.  So now it is always westbound on #1 for me from WPG!  Then depart Vancouver and go all the way to Toronto and then back to WPG on #1 at a pretty decent arrival hour.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0604 seconds