Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Passenger Trains > Poor food in diner on Crescent.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/26/17 06:39
Poor food in diner on Crescent.
Author: alan2955

Friend is aboard the Crescent this morning as it's nearing D.C. Went to diner to eat breakfast. Coffee maker broken, so coffee had to be brought from cafe car, no doubt stressing the crew. Says food was served stone cold and grits were like rubber. He sent it back and they nuked it. He also wanted to order 2 extra eggs and was informed he'd have to pay the full price for a second breakfast. He says he feels ripped off and won't patronize the diner on the return trip. Says the whole thing feels like a unionized government operation that really doesn't have a clue about operating a good service. Also last night upon boarding in Atlanta the cafe car had a huge line and it took 50 minutes to get a drink and chips. Why can't a car attendant help out when the line is a mile long? Any wonder Amtrak struggles to increase ridership? I think it's time Amtrak try letting another company operate the food and beverage services. Surely they could treat customers better.

Date: 05/26/17 06:57
Re: Poor food in diner on Crescent.
Author: Lackawanna484

I'm sorry your friend has had a poor trip. Certainly doesn't reflect well on anyone.

I wonder if this is one of the new Viewliner diners? One has been assigned to the Crescent pool

Date: 05/26/17 07:44

No, I asked him and he said it was old and run down...lol

Date: 05/26/17 07:53
Author: Peak45068

I got on at Atlanta last night and went to the cafe car three times to get my free water due to being in Business Class.

The first time it was shut. I was told an announcement would be made when it was to reopen. No announcement so I walked down again and the queue was crazy. Went back to my seat. Waitied 30 minutes and went back at 1045 and the queue was just as bad so I gave up. I got a bottle from the sleeper attendant. Who wasn't too impressed. The server was totally inept in the cafe car.

Went to the cafe car this morning and they were sold out of everything. I'm always on the Crescent and last night and today's ( I'm still sat on it) experience was the worst experienced.

Things as they say ' can only get better'. At least we are running not too late, unlike the Northbound service the day before!!

Date: 05/26/17 07:55
Author: NYC4096

Just give the catering responsibility to people that give a damn.
Like the Germans that cater trains in Europe.

Date: 05/26/17 08:01

Communicate your unhappiness to Amtrak with a phone call, or contact through the website. Have the trip date, train #, and originating point. Employee names if you have them.

I've had mixed results with complaints / praise. Usually they just ignore it, and you don't get any reply. I was very pleased to get additional points credited to my account on one suggestion. But more pleased to see the diner on the late Auto-Train kept open closer to arrival on trips after I complained.

(I complained they closed the diner for breakfast and coffee three+ hours before actual arrival. Amtrak agreed, and put out a written reminder to LSA about keeping the diner open when possible. And on my next two late trips, they did exactly that.)

Date: 05/26/17 08:03

Was business class 2 and 1 seating or just a standard coach? He said it's been a horrible trip, but as you pointed out it's at least close to schedule. I hope you report the cafe attendant to Amtrak. Although it seems part of the problem was a near sold out train. Some cafe attendants seem to cope with a crowd a lot better than others though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/17 08:04 by alan2955.

Date: 05/26/17 08:06

My brother has gone to Germany today for a week to play on the old 218 diesels.

I should have done that instead as like you say the food is fantastic over there.

I'll just have to stick with my plan though for now and have a week playing on the Genesis Dual Modes. You don't see many of those in the ATL.

Date: 05/26/17 08:09

That was exactly the issue. A sold out train and lack of preparation from the New Orleans end with no foresight in that fact its Memorial Day weekend.

Date: 05/26/17 08:10

The diner is Heritage 8505 and the Business Class is a standard 25057.

Date: 05/26/17 08:22
Author: railcity

I am going on Crescent in July in sleeping car July 16, 2017. I can't wait for my trip. It has been 25 year since on been Amtrak 19 & 20.

Date: 05/26/17 09:00
Author: Dcmcrider

I had a somewhat similar experience last winter on #20. Allegedly, due to some sort of mix-up the day before involving the incoming crew, the diner didn't open for breakfast for nearly two hours after leaving New Orleans. The breakfast service was glacially-paced on top of the late opening. It was nearly Hattiesburg before we were served (and the train was already running late). We had been up since 5:30 to catch the train and had had nothing to eat. The crew groused repeatedly about the condition of the car. Apparently the previous crew left a mess and there were problems fully stocking the car. Several items were unavailable. The explanations were really too much "inside baseball" to be aired in front of the customers. Later on the sleeper attendant announced that lunch service was underway. We get to the (empty) dining car and the LSA wondered why we were there. "Who told you lunch service was ready??"

Later on, the LSA loudly bragged to everyone within earshot about how many days she had left on the job until retirement.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Date: 05/26/17 09:02
Author: RL_Cabin

On my recent Crescent trip I thought the dining car food was good as was the service in both the diner and the lounge. Of course, I don't travel with a chip on my shoulder regarding unions and government. <g>

RL Cabin

Date: 05/26/17 09:45
Author: jp1822

For the summer crunch, starting with Memorial Day, I don't understand why Amtrak doesn't get the two new diners it received (and sent to Hialeah) out and in operation. The two new Diners could be put on the Silver Meteor and then put the two Heritage Dining Cars on the Lake Shore. I am sure a third Heritage Diner could be found so that all three consists of the Lake Shore would then have a Diner Car. If they have to press a spare from Hialeah or NYP into service - so be it. Have the Amfleet II Diner Lite as the backup.....Amtrak needs all the support it can get at present. Bad press or bad experiences aren't going to help its case right now. 

The Crescent segment between Atlanta and Washington DC is always heavily patronized. Amtrak needs to be on top of things between these two segments as long as it can't add or drop cars at Atlanta. An extra coach and third sleeper line is often needed for the Crescent between Atlanta and Washington DC. 

Date: 05/26/17 12:24
Author: choodude

I realize the "Most Powerful Person on the Face of the Earth's" budget proposal is probably dead on arrival, but how would you feel when your boss told you your job should go away this September 30th?

Brian

Date: 05/26/17 12:29

Screwing over the customer is rarely a good idea.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/17 12:49
Author: mundo

Not sure about the food in Germany,  damm few diners three years ago and very limited menu in the few sit down service available.    Some meals delivered to your seat were OK....but not a diner.

Date: 05/26/17 12:55
Author: darkcloud

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/17 23:17 by darkcloud.

Date: 05/26/17 13:13

Not as bad as the crap they serve up on the Cardinal old chap

Date: 05/26/17 13:53
Author: PennPlat

After reading all of the comments here the real answer is to replace the person running food service. Not the head of the dining car crews but the person in charge of the whole operation. The one buying the food, the one planning the menu's, the one directing food service preparation, the one directing how service should take place. Whoever that person might be, doesn't give a damn about anything customers deserve, the person is just running a game showing the boss how few bucks can be spent regardless of the end result.

Anyone saying here that they got a decent meal must be comparing it to McDonald's or Arby's. Companies like Stauffer's have complete dinner packages that only need to be heated, so even that would be better than that which is being served.

I'm afraid to say LD is nearing it's end, but the only folks using it portal to portal are tourist. Perhaps Fall Winter Spring on a 3 day schedule and summer on a 7 day schedule might prolong destiny but the picture isn't bright. East of the Mississippi might be a little bit brighter as the population is much greater therefore a greater audience. And as I've said before an expansion of auto-train service to additional markets sure should be considered, AGAIN,

As far as the on train FOOD service goes, it is strictly a union issue, protect the crew no matter what, so consequences for poor performance are a non starter.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.06 seconds