Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Passenger Trains > Squeeze on the NY subway

Date: 07/27/17 12:33
Squeeze on the NY subway
Author: Lackawanna484

The NYC subway is controlled by the NY governor, but has become a political football between the governor and city mayor.

The mayor has been attacking the governor on a regular basis for neglecting the subways and buses. Mayor de Blasio routinely calls Governor Cuomo a showboat, uninterested in ordinary people. "Straphangers" in the local dialect.

The most recent battle unfolded when deB attacked the governor at a rally for better subway service. Allies of the Gov showed that police had cleared the station of homeless people before the speech.

Now, it comes out that police held a subway train for the famously long winded mayor to finish his speech and depart on the R train.

The irony is deB rarely takes the subway. He usually motorcade or uses a helicopter.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/27/mta-rips-de-blasio-for-apparently-holding-a-subway-train/

Posted from Android

Date: 07/27/17 16:56
Re: Squeeze on the NY subway
Author: Ray_Murphy

Based on your headline, I thought this post was going to be about the hare-brained idea promoted this week of removing the seats on the trains of certain especially-congested lines!

Ray

Date: 07/28/17 05:54
Author: Dcmcrider

Why is that hare-brained? It's a straightforward way to increase capacity without adding frequencies.

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Based on your headline, I thought this post was
> going to be about the hare-brained idea promoted
> this week of removing the seats on the trains of
> certain especially-congested lines!
>
> Ray

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Date: 07/28/17 06:07
Author: Lackawanna484

PATH used to have 2 by 2 seating on its PA2 cars.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/17 06:44
Author: Dcmcrider

2-by-2 seating was also the norm on WMATA, but they've gradually added more standee areas and parallel seating on later equipment orders. The original design of the system seemed to be predicated on providing a "parlor car" experience where everyone got a seat. That was soon eclipsed by reality as ridership grew. The result was severe crowding near the doors (the only large area for standees), longer dwell times for loading/unloading, malfunctioning doors, etc.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Date: 07/28/17 07:14
Author: Ray_Murphy

Dcmcrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is that hare-brained? It's a straightforward
> way to increase capacity without adding
> frequencies.

Because not everyone who uses public transit is able to stand for extended periods,

My reading of the proposal was to remove ALL seats on certain services.

Ray

Date: 07/28/17 18:14
Author: joemvcnj

With the delays and no place to sit in a car with no seats and no way to ask someone for their seat if you are feeling sick, expect more delays calling medics for sick passengers.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/29/17 06:33
Author: march_hare

Not even limited to sick passengers. If you're elderly and the car is empty, it can be quite difficult to maintain your balance standing up during acceleration and deceleration.  I got a sneak preview of this phase of life a few years ago, when a inner ear infection gave me bad vertigo for a few months. 

It really sucked. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds