Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Passenger Trains > Sen. Schumer blasts NY MTA

Date: 10/29/17 16:57
Sen. Schumer blasts NY MTA
Author: Lackawanna484

Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) blasted the state transportation authority for its failure to meet PTC dead lines. The minority leader had guided loans and extensions to the downstate agency.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new-mta-team-handle-response-storms-heat-waves-article-1.3597544

In other news, MTA announced a unit which will oversee the agency planning for weather emergencies. The agency has been savaged by snow and ice, as well as rising tides / heavy rains.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/29/17 18:30
Re: Sen. Schumer blasts NY MTA
Author: joemvcnj

Guess he never heard of ASC/ATC, which is simply older technology that serves the same purpose.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/29/17 19:08
Author: gbmott

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guess he never heard of ASC/ATC, which is simply
> older technology that serves the same purpose.
>
> Posted from Android

Regrettably, ATC does not meet the Congressional mandate for PTC.

Gordon

Date: 10/29/17 20:46
Author: BRAtkinson

It's easy for the politicians that passed PTC to hound the railroads, especially the public-funded commuter lines about not having the installation completed already. I wish that for once, just once, the head of <whatever> transit organization ask them back - "And exactly WHO do you expect to PAY for what you mandated?"

Date: 10/29/17 21:53
Author: jcaestecker

Schumer and Diane Feinstein (D, of course, CA) were the ignorant proponents of this mandate. Not enough time and $$$ were allowed. Typical unintended consequences of GOVT types.

Can't wait to get out of California.

-John

Date: 10/29/17 21:59
Author: MojaveBill

This is a national, not a state, mandate.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 10/29/17 22:14
Author: jcaestecker

MojaveBill Wrote:
> This is a national, not a state, mandate.

I realize that, I just identified the loudest people behind the reactionary legislation.

-John

Date: 10/30/17 02:54
Author: cchan006

jcaestecker Wrote:
> I realize that, I just identified the loudest
> people behind the reactionary legislation.
>
> -John

I think it's more than just a reactionary legislation, but there aren't too many places to hide from such arrogant and incompetent behavior anywhere in the world anymore, so I hope you're ditching California for non-reactionary reasons. Meanwhile, people like Schumer provide plenty of laughs, at least for me. So many things PTC have prevented (even if unintended) the past few years. :-)

Date: 10/30/17 05:30
Author: joemvcnj

What gets me is Schumer acts like MTA commuter railroads have no collision avoidance and speed controls as it is, and that all crashes are PTC preventable. Well, the Hoboken crash and a similar, lower speed crash in LIRR's Brooklyn Terminal were not. They were terminal areas and the trains were going 21 MPH and 8 MPH. The fatality in Hoboken could likely have been prevented by modern, energy absorbing bumper blocks, rather than the ancient ones that catapulted the lead coach up and over, bringing down the massive canopy,

Date: 10/30/17 06:20
Author: Lackawanna484

Chuck Schumer's diatribes are a staple of Sunday night TV in NY. He has a late afternoon news conference, usually in a location related to the subject of his uproar. He's been doing this for decades.

The UN, Trump Tower, Verazzano Bridge, Grand Central Terminal, the Kensico Dam, Second Avenue Subway, a Muslim country's mission to the UN, etc have all been props.

The Senator is always home in Brooklyn for the Sabbath, and then works the churches, restaurants, festivals, so the Sunday media event fits into his schedule. I used to see him regularly on Amtrak on Thursday afternoon/evening trains. He's entitled to VIP military aircraft now, I don't know if he avails himself of it.

Date: 10/30/17 06:29
Author: PennPlat

Let us not forgot Sen. Schlumer's epic battle beating up on female flight attendants flying to work LGA/JFK - DCA. He did later apologize when the story appeared in the news media.
Never met a camera he didn't like.

Date: 10/31/17 10:29
Author: utwazoo

PennPlat Wrote:
> Let us not forgot Sen. Schlumer's epic battle
> beating up on female flight attendants flying to
> work LGA/JFK - DCA. He did later apologize when
> the story appeared in the news media.
> Never met a camera he didn't like.

Photo opps are how politicos stay in office

Date: 10/31/17 11:43
Author: ATSF3751

PennPlat Wrote:
> Let us not forgot Sen. Schlumer's epic battle
> beating up on female flight attendants flying to
> work LGA/JFK - DCA. He did later apologize when
> the story appeared in the news media.
> Never met a camera he didn't like.

Not quite like propositioning a fellow traveler in the adjacent stall, eh? Of course HE apologized only after the other guy complained and took it to the media.
BTW, Schlumer did not physically assault the attendant and you should have made that distinction. His behavior was indeed bad and unacceptable for calling her the "b" word, but the incident was not the scene of an "epic battle" as you comment implies. Nice try. Getting the facts before engaging in comment is always a good idea.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0475 seconds