Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Passenger Trains > Metro-North CT: Opinion on the Quiet Car

Date: 07/08/18 14:57
Metro-North CT: Opinion on the Quiet Car
Author: Lackawanna484

A commuter advocate notes that Metro-North has cut the use of Quiet Cars on some Connecticut trains.  He's not pleased.  Quiet Cars are supposed to be just that. No loud poker playing, conversations, music without headphones, etc.  The writer feels M-N never supported it, and failed to enforce it.

I don't know about that, Metro-North and its sister company of LIRR have used and encouraged Quiet Cars for years. I wonder if lack of CT state support was also an issue?

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Getting-There-Metro-North-reduces-quiet-cars-13027258.php

Date: 07/09/18 08:56
Re: Metro-North CT: Opinion on the Quiet Car
Author: knotch8

The way I read his opinion piece is that it's a reduction in off-peak Quiet Cars.  Rush-hour service remains at 2 Quiet Cars.  I really don't see his problem.  Off-peak trains are lighter, anyway, so I'd be really surprised if there were 2 carloads of people who wanted the Quiet Cars.  Also, off-peak is when families and kids ride, especially in Summer, and they don't know anything about Quiet Cars and certainly don't want to be in them.  I'm confident that 1 Quiet Car is enough on off-peak trains.  He just sounds like he's whining, or maybe he wants an entire 3 seats to himself in the Quiet Car.

I look at Metro North's Twitter feed, and I don't see anyone complaining about the reduction in off-peak Quiet Cars.  I see complaints about late trains, I see complaints about a lack of seats on rush-hour trains.  I don't see anyone complaining about off-peak Quiet Cars.  

I think the guy's got an agenda and a newspaper had space to fill.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds