Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Passenger Trains > SuperLate SW Chief

Date: 07/14/18 08:10
SuperLate SW Chief
Author: mp16

ETA Chicago today at 7:30 pm(4 hrs., 15 mins. late)
Departed Los Angeles 1 hr., 26 mins. late.  ETA KCY today about 5 hours late.  Train was 5 hrs, 44 mins. late at Newton this morning.
 Engine problems, heavy freight traffic causing delays ? Forest fires ??

Also, #8 Builder is due Chicago tonight at 8:25 pm(3 hrs., 30 mins. late)
I guess some people will miss a connection to the Capitol but they will make the Lakeshore connection.

Date: 07/14/18 08:33
Re: SuperLate SW Chief
Author: co614

About 18 months or so ago I was on a 13 hour late SW Chief. We got into CUS about 3 am ( next day) and the line at the Passenger Services desk of folks waiting for hotel vouchers/rebookings was at least 200 people long. I just got in a cab, went to the nearest hotel and paid for it vs. standing forever in that line.

Now that's what I called " super" late.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

Date: 07/14/18 09:05
Author: ATSF1129

Supposedly the CTC around LAUS went to pot causing the initial delay, along with weather related signal outages in the Mojave.

Date: 07/14/18 10:09
Author: wa4umr

About 8 or 9 years ago, I was on #8 running 10 - 11 hours late.  Amtrak boarded two agents at the Twin Cities. They issued vouchers all the way into Chicago. After arriving in Chicago we went to the ticket counter signed the voucher and were handed the money. I think they had 2 or 3 windows open and it only took long enough for them to count out the money.  They probably handled the whole train in 30 minutes or less. It was amazingly efficient and an example how it should be. 

John

Date: 07/14/18 10:15
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Ross --
13 hours late -- dearie me!

But most people cannot afford to pay for a very expensive hotel room in a big city like Chicago out of pocket, so they really have no choice but to stand in a long, long line for hours when their train is late and they miss a guaranteed connection.

Date: 07/14/18 10:17
Author: cozephyr

Thank you gentlemen for sharing your experiences with Amtrak’s late trains.  More American downsizing evidence.  Amtrak does not have enough people to handle shortcomings.  Roads cacross America working if you can afford those over priced SUV’s...😵

Date: 07/14/18 14:31
Author: DavidP

cozephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you gentlemen for sharing your experiences
> with Amtrak’s late trains.  More American
> downsizing evidence.  Amtrak does not have enough
> people to handle shortcomings.  Roads cacross
> America working if you can afford those over
> priced SUV’s...😵

have you you ever been caught up in a weather event at a major air hub like Atlanta or O’Hare?  The airlines aren’t any better at clearing the lines of mis-connecting passengers.  

Dave

Date: 07/14/18 14:49

Train now due Chicago at 8:38 pm.  Heading for Fort Madison currently.

Builder ETA CHI 9:04 pm instead of scheduled 4:55 pm. If the train does arrive at 9:04 pm maybe the Lake Shore just might be held.

Date: 07/14/18 18:46
Author: TennesseeTraveler

Capitol Limited #30 is being held again tonight 7/14.

Date: 07/14/18 20:12

As of 10:10 pm Chicago time staton status bord indicates both trains are "boarding."  I wonder how far apart these trains will run from each other. Fans should get to see two trains in a short period of time.

Date: 07/15/18 16:20
Author: ProAmtrak

That had to been the no. 4 that had to wait to get through Needles because a BNSF Stack Train went on the ground west of there no thanks to high winds!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds