Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Passenger Trains > Cascadia HSR

Date: 10/11/18 10:38
Cascadia HSR
Author: ORNHOO

Here's an item about a recent conference: https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2018/10/bullet_train_from_portland_to.html
The concept under discussion seems to be based on this Washington DOT study:  media.oregonlive.com/commuting/other/UltraHighSpeedGroundTtansportation_FINAL.pdf

Date: 10/11/18 12:05
Re: Cascadia HSR
Author: TAW

ORNHOO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's an item about a recent conference:
> https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/201
> 8/10/bullet_train_from_portland_to.html
> The concept under discussion seems to be based on
> this Washington DOT study: 
> media.oregonlive.com/commuting/other/UltraHighSpee
> dGroundTtansportation_FINAL.pdf
>

This year marks the beginning of hourly service between Seattle and Portland in 2h30m and bi-hourly between Seattle and Vancouver BC in 2h45m with a service day from 530am until 1130pm.

Oh, right. Don't go to the station to catch one of those trains. In 23 years, it received about 10% of the promised 7 Gigabucks needed to build it.

Now they really want people to think that this is going to get 2x to 6x the cash and be done in 17 years?

Chances of that are less than 1/n^n^n where n -> 2x infinity.

TAW

Date: 10/12/18 07:25
Author: cchan006

Irrelevant to me, since it is being publicized in conjunction with the election season. Last I checked, transportation issues (lack of capacity, congestion, and so forth) aren't seasonal in June and November?

When this is a serious discussion in the first quarter of 2019, then maybe I'll take it more seriously. 

Date: 10/12/18 08:53

cchan006 Wrote:
> Irrelevant to me, since it is being publicized in
> conjunction with the election season. Last I
> checked, transportation issues (lack of capacity,
> congestion, and so forth) aren't seasonal in June
> and November?
>
> When this is a serious discussion in the first
> quarter of 2019, then maybe I'll take it more
> seriously. 

The idea didn't originate with politicians; it originated with folks in the Lots Of Cash stratum. That it is being publicized at the moment is more of coincidence than political plan (the first "study" was funded over a year ago)...except the political plan of the folks who want the public to pay for their train.

TAW

Date: 10/13/18 01:11
Author: thaddeh

I am so tired of seeing this study being done over and over again. We don't need flashy 220mph High Speed Rail. We can do just fine with 110mph (with PTC).

I would rather have hourly Cascades Talgos than hourly bullet trains.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/13/18 02:00

thaddeh Wrote:

> I would rather have hourly Cascades Talgos than
> hourly bullet trains.
>

You are not alone.

TAW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds