Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Passenger Trains > Nice to be home again...

Date: 02/11/19 08:30
Nice to be home again...
Author: Alco251

What a lovely place to watch trains. Perhaps one of America's most picturesque stations...Kirkwood, MO. Beautiful place even with NO trains.
OK, I'll admit to abandoning all objectivity when I make statements like that.
I grew up spending many afternoons on this very platform, watching the comings and goings of Missouri Pacific and Amtrak passenger trains.
So you can understand why, after living 1800 miles west of here for most of my adult life, I have an urge to drop by whenever I'm in the neighborhood.
Last night was time well spent. There's just something about a train station on a cold, wet night...especially the on-time arrival of train 316 from Kansas City (in my mind, it's MoPac #14).

Date: 02/11/19 09:46
Re: Nice to be home again...
Author: RevRandy

I suspect that many of us have a "home station" or perhaps more than one.  Thank you for sharing some beautiful photos of yours.

Date: 02/11/19 10:53
Author: ShastaDaylight

I agree it's a great place to watch trains!  I do miss the MP Blue and the big Screamin' Eagles!

ShastaDaylight

Date: 02/11/19 11:33
Author: symph1

RevRandy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suspect that many of us have a "home station" or
> perhaps more than one.  Thank you for sharing
> some beautiful photos of yours.

Mine was East Cleveland, Ohio, for NYC and NKP trains. Long since torn down, how I'd love to see pictures of it.

Date: 02/11/19 11:39
Author: Winnemucca

Mine was SP's Berkeley Ca depot. Now an Irish bar.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 02/11/19 12:46
Author: icancmp193

A very attractive station, which is more than can be said for my home station in Dover, NJ.

TJY

Date: 02/11/19 18:05
Author: chess

Dover station was a beautiful one.. Years ago before it became a restaurant..

Date: 02/11/19 20:55
Author: jp1822

So many train stations, with freight only trackage in front of them - or those lucky enough to still see a passenger train - were great masterpieces in their old special way. Be it a little rural brick/stone one story station, or a monolith like NYC Grand Central Station or 30th Street Station Philadelphia, these stations were built to "blend in" and assimilate with the community that they were apart of and that passengers were either being greeted to saying farewell to. Some have been saved and made into restaurants. A nice example I can think of are a the stations along the "old Bel-Del" otherwise known as the Belvidere and Delaware Railroad adjacent to the Delaware River between Trenton and Manunka Chunk/Belvidere, NJ. Many consecutive stations are either a restaurant, cafe, deli, etc. that have been wonderfully restored with the old railroad bed now a bike path. Unfortunately, its the large passenger train stations that can't get a re-use if now abandoned - Buffalo Central Terminal, Michigan Central Station, etc. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds