Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Passenger Trains > need info Niagara falls NY and Canada

Date: 04/27/19 17:56
need info Niagara falls NY and Canada
Author: steamboat

in June coming in on Amtrak train 281  . how far is the falls from the station ? how easy is it to get to the Canada side . any special things that we should check out in the area. thanks in advance

Date: 04/27/19 20:00
Re: need info Niagara falls NY and Canada
Author: justalurker66

About 1.9 miles on foot from the station to Niagra Falls State Park.

My wife and I have been to both sides of the falls. Most of the attractions have versions on each side. The Canadian side seemed more commercial. We were able to go into tunnels under the falls on the Canadian side. Both sides have boat rides that take you close to the falls. Both sides have overlooks but on the American side you can walk on a bridge over the top of the bridal falls. You can also walk out on an overlook on the American side and take an elevator down to where the Maid of the Mist loads - then take walkways to the base of the bridal falls (a very wet location). We didn't bother with the non-Niagara Falls specific things (such as Ripley's on the Canadian side).

If you have a passport and and a plan crossing the border should not be a problem. I have only tried it in my own vehicle ... hopefully someone else will chime in with experience crossing on foot or bus/cab. But as long as you can tell the border guards where you are going and when you'll be leaving you should pass.

Are you planning on having a hotel in Niagara Falls NY? Or is this a day trip.

Date: 04/27/19 20:48

going to stay one night in USA side  do the USA side then cross into Canada see that side stay one night there then go to Montreal on via the next morning

Date: 04/27/19 21:03
Author: jp1822

steamboat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> going to stay one night in USA side  do the USA
> side then cross into Canada see that side stay one
> night there then go to Montreal on via the next
> morning

As far as I know there is no longer a morning VIA train to Toronto from Niagara Fall, ON. Was dropped almost 10 years ago I think. Just the Amtrak Maple Leaf train that comes to/from NYC and technicall operates as a VIA train on the Canadian side. GO Transit operates "seasonally" to VIA Niagara Falls Rail Station, but summer months only I believe. 

Date: 04/27/19 21:35
Author: wa4umr

The Canadian side is very commercialized whereas the U.S. side is more casual.  There are some interesting things on the U.S. side.  On Goat Island, you can walk right up to the edge of the falls.  If you do, notice the hair on some of the girls.  If they have long straight hair, it will be standing up due to the static built up as the water and friction build up a charge.  Maid of the Mist is available on either side.  The Cave of the Winds will get you really close to the falls.  You will get wet but they give you shoes to wear while you are there and a poncho to keep you mostly dry.  The area is a non-smoking area but you'd have a hard time lighting one while there anyway.  All kinds of touristy things on the Canadian side.

Enjoy your trip.

John

Date: 04/28/19 06:32
Author: RevRandy

> As far as I know there is no longer a morning VIA
> train to Toronto from Niagara Fall, ON. Was
> dropped almost 10 years ago I think. Just the
> Amtrak Maple Leaf train that comes to/from NYC and
> technicall operates as a VIA train on the Canadian
> side. GO Transit operates "seasonally" to VIA
> Niagara Falls Rail Station, but summer months only
> I believe. 

Regular, weekday service year round from Niagara Falls, ON to Toronto, GO Train at 5:19am in addition to the Amtrak/VIA train at 5:45pm. 
You can walk across the Rainbow Bridge, which is only a short walk from the Goat Island area for viewing the falls on the US side.
From Amtrak Niagara Falls to Goat island is 2.5 miles.  
From Canadian side of falls to VIA/GO depot is about the same  distance, but there are bettter public transit connections
Both sides can be wonderful -- last year took grandson (and his parents there).  Did the American side on day one, including the breathtaking views from Goat Island. Then, crossed to the Canadian side and got a fallsview room at a motel (not cheap but with exchange rate more reasonable) to view the evening light show on the falls and (check calendar for dates) fireworks over the falls.  
It all is not to be missed!

Trivia Question:  in the 1880-90ss, what were the two most visited vacation locations in the US?  Yep, Niagara Falls was number one, but number two?  What is now known as Jim Thorpe, PA, but then as Mauch Chunk, PA.  People arrived on either the Lehigh Valley or the Central of NJ to this Victorian Resort town.  Both are still accessible by train - the trains as listed above for Niagara Falls (plus the other 280 series Empire Service trains) and the weekend RDC service of the Reading and Northern, the feisty regional carrier. 

Date: 04/28/19 06:59
Author: march_hare

For the sake of honesty, somebody should point out that the Canadian side of the falls is far more impressive than the American side.   More water, bigger vertical drop, and less rocky rubble at the bottom. 

If if you like hazardous waste sites, there are more of them on the American side. Love Canal is only a mile or two away. 

If the weather’s decent, check out the Maid of the Mist boat tour on the Canadian side. 

Date: 04/28/19 08:17
Author: 4489

AND just reminder that in order to enter Canada one requires an up to date passport and or a NEXUS/Global Entry card. 

No passport, no entry

Date: 04/28/19 08:51
Author: joemvcnj

So long as it is by land, a Passport card will do. It's much cehaper and not as thick to lug around. 

Date: 04/28/19 10:41
Author: justalurker66

march_hare Wrote:
> If the weather’s decent, check out the Maid of the Mist boat tour on the Canadian side. 

Maid of the Mist is on the American side. The Hornblower boats are on the Canadian side.

We bought the "Adventure Pass" on the Canadian side for the falls related attractions (Hornblower, Behind the Falls, White Water Walk and a "4D" theater experience - plus transportation on the WEGO buses). There is a more expensive version that has additional attractions. Season starts May 8th. At the time we went Cave of the Winds was closed for remodelling on the American side but we were able to access the falls via the elevator at the Maid of the Mist loading point.

Date: 04/28/19 18:36
Author: RuleG

march_hare Wrote:
> For the sake of honesty, somebody should point out
> that the Canadian side of the falls is far more
> impressive than the American side.   More water,
> bigger vertical drop, and less rocky rubble at the
> bottom. 
>
> If if you like hazardous waste sites, there are
> more of them on the American side. Love Canal is
> only a mile or two away. 
>
> If the weather’s decent, check out the Maid of
> the Mist boat tour on the Canadian side. 

Don't know how much things changed much since I was last in Niagara Falls in the mid-1980s.  The approach to Niagara Falls from the south was much more pleasant on Canadian side and the views of the falls were nicer from the Canadian side.  However, in the immediate vicinity of the Falls, I preferred the American side because there is a wonderful state park.  On the Canadian side, there were just the typical touristy stuff like souvenir shops and a wax museum.

Date: 04/28/19 19:02

thanks everyone for all the info on the falls bob g

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0809 seconds