Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Passenger Trains > A NJT Geep returns to the North Jersey Coast Line

Date: 08/07/19 18:47
A NJT Geep returns to the North Jersey Coast Line
Author: OCtrainguy

As a kid growing up in Point Pleasant, NJ, I remember the final days of the E8s on the North Jersey Coast Line.  Soccer practice in August-November of 1987 was always exciting as practice was at the VFW in Point Pleasant Beach, whose field gave us a a great view of trains making their station stop in Pt. Beach.  As I got more into photography and railfanning in the late 1990s, I enjoyed the variety on the NJCL with the F40s, the various GP40-2 variations and the cowl units, the GP40FH-2s.  When the PL42s arrived, I personally photographed the line less, as I just didn't like how those engines looked.  When the dual modes arrived, and the older engines were relocated and/or retired and stored, I didn't really photo the line at all.  Again, just a personal choice based on the engine types.  

When the Atlantic City Line was shut down last year for PTC installation, there was some hope that several of the 4200 series Geeps from that line would make it to the North Jersey Coast Line.  That did initially happen, but not for long.  Fast forward to early July of this year.  Between my son commuting on the North Jersey Coast Line and posts on a Facebook group, word had spread that a GP40-2 was on the NJCL for shuttle service between Bay Head and Long Branch. 

On July 7th, after checking in on my parents' house, I swung by Bay Head Yard. The outbound (to Long Branch) train was ready to leave with a dual mode on it.  I didn't see the Geep in the yard, so I waited a little bit for the inbound (Bay Head) train.  I was rewarded with the Geep pushing the train into the yard.  NJT 4204, an ex-Penn Central engine.  

1.  The outbound train at right and in the inbound train at left.  The inbound had to wait for the outbound to clear Bay Head Station
2.  Side view of the 4204 as it approaches the yard signals
3.  Starting to move to the loop track

A few more photos and a video to follow...

Date: 08/07/19 18:54
Re: A NJT Geep returns to the North Jersey Coast Line

Continuing the photos...  

4.  One last look at the 4204 from July 7th
5.  On July 14th, the 4204 was still in use on the NJCL and here we have it in the early morning.  I just wished they moved it back just a bit away from the pole.

After that photo, I headed to a spot in Point Beach where I can get an open photo of the train and the water tower in the background.  Well, the focus didn't cooperate on my camera, so I didn't get any photos, but did get a video from that spot.  The 4204 left early that week, but at least I got some photos of it during it's stay.

Hope you enjoy! 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/07/19 19:37
Author: coach

That 2nd photo caught my attention, because it appears to be a NEW installation of CIRCULAR tri-light signals behind the current signal, waiting to be turned and put into action.  Very rare to see that type of signal installed new these days.  Nice catch.

Date: 08/07/19 19:57
Author: SP4360

Just goes to show you don't need to put up vertical colorlight Darth Invader signals for a new installation. 

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That 2nd photo caught my attention, because it
> appears to be a NEW installation of CIRCULAR
> tri-light signals behind the current signal,
> waiting to be turned and put into action.  Very
> rare to see that type of signal installed new
> these days.  Nice catch.

Date: 08/08/19 10:21
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos, is the 4204 a former CNJ GP40P?

Rich

Date: 08/08/19 11:35
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the great photos.  It's also great to see NJT is running its wash rack.  It seemed that it was out of service for the past several years.

Photo 2 also shows BORNE, which appears to be a fortified signal box, Raised about six feet above ground level, and about 10-12 feet about high tide. It is set on pilings.  That area was underwater during super storm Sandy as I recall.

Date: 08/08/19 20:35
Author: SD45X

Sweet!

Date: 08/09/19 07:50

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos, is the 4204 a former CNJ GP40P?
>
> Rich

No, this one is former Penn Central. 

Date: 08/09/19 07:52

Thank for the compliments, they are appreciated.  I did note that the 4204 did seem to have recently gotten washed.  In addition to the new signals at the entrance of the yard waiting to be activated, there are also new signals awaiting where Route 35 crosses the tracks in the lower part of Point Beach.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0639 seconds