Home Open Account Help 185 users online

Passenger Trains > VIA

Date: 11/22/00 18:35
VIA
Author: JPB

Does VIA Rail still run a transcontinental train from Toronto to Vancouver, and if so, is it still called the Canadian?

Date: 11/22/00 19:06
RE: VIA
Author: run8

Yes it does, but it runs predominantly over the CNR's route rather than the original CPR route of the Canadian.

The equipment, other than the locomotives, is pretty well all the former CPR stainless steel cars from the original Canadian. They did a fantastic job of rebuilding the equipment a few years ago, so it is in impeccable shape.

Date: 11/22/00 19:09
Author: run8

Forgot to mention VIA's web page for the train:

<http://www.viarail.ca/en.trai.oues.html#01&gt;

Date: 11/22/00 19:13
Author: david

Via does indeed still run the Canadian between Toronto and Vancouver. Unlike the original Canadian (and Via's first version) the route taken is that of the Super Continental: that is the Canadian National line. As of a few weeks ago, the Canadian Pacific route is taken eastbound from a point near Vancouver to Ashcroft, a distance of about 300 km. Since January 1990, service is only three times per week rather than daily. Via's
web site at www.viarail.ca has much information on this and other trains, including menus for specific days.

Date: 11/23/00 05:02
You mean this train?
Author: cp1400

Yes, VIA runs the Canadian three days per week between Toronto and Vancouver. Departures from Toronto are on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings. Departures from Vancouver are on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday afternoons. Summertime trains reach up to 26 cars in length. Winter trains are between 8 and twelve cars.
Here is a shot of westbound train #1 about 50 miles from the Vancouver depot.

Date: 11/26/00 22:24
Author: VIA1

Hey guys, it may seem I'm a bit biased, but having ridden the Canadian in both in all four seasons from Vancouver to Toronto, and also riding the Starlight, and Builder and Zephyr, really, there is no comparison. Now, alot will have to do with personal preference,ie equipment, VIA has heritage with domes vs. the Superliner, but service can and will always play a part. The number of returnees on #1 + 2 are staggering: nearly 74% said they will definately ride again. Amtrak could only dream of those numbers, eh? Anyway, I am not bashing Amtrak, but rather giving experienced notification. Hope it helps..

Date: 11/27/00 06:58
Author: chrisg

The Canadian is one of the best traion rides that I have ever been on having done it 8 times myself . Early this year CN and CP started using directional running east of Mission City . The eastbound goes out on the Cn line as far as Paige then crosses onto A connection to CP Mission Sub crossing the Fraser River before turning east putting that all ex CP consist back on it's old CP route to pass Ashchoft . The other good news is that the eastbound leaves Vancouver two hours earlier than it did . Good riding.

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds