Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Passenger Trains > Chicago Canal Street Garage

Date: 10/16/19 06:25
Chicago Canal Street Garage
Author: andersonb109

I'm booked from Dearborn to Chicago and then on to Sacramento in March assuming Lerro's Sierra charter happens (tickets still available). So today I received a message from Amtrak specifically related to this trip informing me that the parking garage on Canal Street is permanently closed. But wait. I'm taking the train over from Michigan to Chicago. So why would I need the parking garage?  Good to know I guess for future trips but makes no sense to notify passengers not originating in Chicago.

Date: 10/16/19 06:32
Re: Chicago Canal Street Garage
Author: jeffgeldner

I received the same notification. I am leaving my car in Fresno during a December trip so likewise I will not need to park in Chicago. I suspect Amtrak didn't want to attempt to filter for those only originating in Chicago vs.elsewhere. More information is sometimes better than none.

Jeff Geldner
Sequoia National Park, CA

Date: 10/16/19 09:17
Author: dcautley

My disappointment is that Hertz has closed their car rental location at the station. This is making for an expensive and fraught logistical change for my arrival next week.

It used to be easy. No more.

These may be related, the rental cars might have been in that garage.... not a local so I dont know.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/16/19 10:34
Author: dcorreia

That was were the rental cars where for all of the car rental places in Union Station. That is where I returned my car from a trip to Rochelle a couple of years back when I was taking the Lakeshore Limited. I just now you need to find one close in town or go to the airports to rent/return a car.

Date: 10/16/19 15:34
Author: robj

Uber to the car rental.

Bob

Date: 10/16/19 16:25
Author: utwazoo

DO NOT rent a car at either Chicago airport.  The additional charges can add 30% to your final bill.  The oddity is you can pick up a car at a neighborhood location and return to ORD or MDW without the airport surcharges.   And Avis/Hertz at least do not charge a fee for dropping off at the airport after renting at an off-airport station.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds