Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Passenger Trains > Dining on 92 (6)

Date: 11/06/19 14:03
Dining on 92 (6)
Author: RevRandy

On The Silver Star (#92) from Miami to Baltimore. As most people here know, this train - although over night and with two sleepers - has only a Cafe car. No full meals, either contemporary or traditional.

I am not one to concede the quality of life to circumstances. So here is my lunch in my roomette (#2 in the 11 car for those interested), prepared by me.

The food is an OMeal self-heating turkey chili with beans, the wine is a Washington Cabernet Sauvignon. Table items IKEA.

Life is what you make of it.

(wonderful service at Miami - greeted by name, bags carried to my room by station staff. Patrick, my attendant, is very helpful but not hovering. Car is showing its age but everything is functional and no squeaks.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/19 14:04 by RevRandy.

Date: 11/06/19 14:15
Re: Dining on 92 (6)
Author: utwazoo

I'd eat the flower and that would be it

Date: 11/06/19 14:32
Author: 41bridge

Never heard of Omeal. Website looks like they must be ordered on line. Pricey. Never seen them at Kroger. How does the self heating work?

Date: 11/06/19 16:31
Author: MEKoch

Life is what you make it.  I admire your resourcefulness in providing for yourself, what Amtrak SHOULD provide.  

Date: 11/06/19 17:29
Author: 2720

Whatever that is in the bowl looks like what I leave behind in the morning!

I second eating the flower and moving on!!

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/19 17:30 by 2720.

Date: 11/06/19 17:37
Author: RevRandy

They are available online and at places like REI

The self-heating unit is a sealed packet which you open and take out of an inner packet.  Place the heater unit in the main pouch, add back in the food pouch (which is pre-cooked and hermentically sealed) and then add about a half cup of liquid. Seal the resealable main pouch (which has vents). The liquid and the heater packet react and produce heat which boils the liquid. In about 5 minutes the food pouch is hot.  Remove it, open, and enjoy. 

These were designed for backwoods treks, so any liquid will do since the heating liquid never touches the food. 

I have now had the turkey chili and the lentils with beef, and both have been excellent.  Low carbs and sodium, high protein, and yummy.  

A great alternative to Angus Burgers and pizza from the Cafe -- and in the end about the same price or cheaper. And the OMeals have no strange ingredients. 

(O,wow, we are in Deland only about 5 minutes late - all account signals going into SunRail territory)

Life is good.

41bridge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never heard of Omeal. Website looks like they must
> be ordered on line. Pricey. Never seen them at
> Kroger. How does the self heating work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/19 17:40 by RevRandy.

Date: 11/06/19 18:39
Author: gbmott

Yes, life really is what you make of it.  Good for you, RevRandy, and enjoy your trip!

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/19 18:41 by gbmott.

Date: 11/06/19 19:02
Author: GenePoon

Glad you enjoyed, RevRandy.  I will have to remember this product...since having to
fend for one's self on long distance trips seems to be the way of the Amfuture.

Date: 11/06/19 20:55
Author: EMD2024

You might want to see your primary care physician if that's what the exit event looks like...just sayin'.

Another Mike

Posted from Android

Date: 11/06/19 21:04
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I agree. Looks like something you already ate and it didn't suit you well. Looks aren't everything but Yee Gad! I would go for making sandwiches instead.

Of course I wouldn't be on Amtrak either after some fiascos in the past . I would much rather travel by train . . . . . 

Date: 11/06/19 21:13
Author: Panamerican99

That thing is a MEAL?

Date: 11/06/19 21:36
Author: FloridaTrainGuy

If Amtrak supplied that as their new dining program we would all be screaming bloody murder.

Date: 11/07/19 05:13
Author: WrongWayMurphy

One should never, ever put beans in chili.  In fact it is not chili
is it contains beans.  Call it something else but not chili.

Date: 11/07/19 07:24
Author: ts1457

WrongWayMurphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One should never, ever put beans in chili.  In
> fact it is not chili
> is it contains beans.  Call it something else but
> not chili.

WWM, what are your thoughts about turkey in chili?

Date: 11/07/19 08:03
Author: Duna

Just came across this video a few minutes ago. Dining car & food on a overnight train out of Brest, Belarus headed to Moscow.

Look what they have to eat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLHOB5tMugI&t=7m50s

Video also shows some of the passenger car truck swap-out proceedure going from standard to wide gauge.

Date: 11/07/19 15:31
Author: agentatascadero

I like the concept....for those stuck without dining service.  One thing.....there is zero chili anywhgere that does not look like....well, you know what.  I'm a big chili fan, so looks don't matter, thankfully.  Of course, there are other options one could bring aboard....some would actually look better.

That being said, dining cars on long distance trains should be mandatory....as should be lounge cars.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.059 seconds