Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Passenger Trains > Capitol Limited 1994

Date: 11/11/19 17:14
Capitol Limited 1994
Author: RFandPFan

.Amtrak 29 and 30 in July, 1994. Prototype Viewliner #8400 in 29's consist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/19 17:24 by RFandPFan.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/11/19 17:32
Re: Capitol Limited 1994
Author: andersonb109

Wow. TWO locomotives. Dome and diner serving actual food. So what we have running today on the same route is progress? 

Date: 11/11/19 19:38
Author: RuleG

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow. TWO locomotives. Dome and diner serving
> actual food. So what we have running today on the
> same route is progress? 

1) I don't recall any kind of food being served in the Capitol Limited's dome car.

2) One of the reasons that two locomotives were required was due to all of the head-end traffic on both trains shown in the video.

3) The two scenes were filmed during the month July.  The Capitol Limited running in July 2019, and other summer months in recent years, has also been operated with two locomotives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/19 21:05 by RuleG.

Date: 11/11/19 21:16
Author: jp1822

But in 1994 was it running as a separate train from the Broadway Limited or was it combined at Pittsburgh? I know that it seemed to be "back and forth." The fact that it has head end traffic, coaches, lounge, dome, diner, and two sleepers on the rear render me to believe it is operating separate to the Broadway Limited. Anyone remember the years that it was combine and then was split - in summary or in brief? 

Regardless, the wrong train was discontinued in 1995.....and then same mistake in 2005. Should have been run like the Lake Shore Limited like with its Boston section, whereas the Washington DC to Pittsburgh section was the connecting train (e.g. the "Boston section") that combined at Pittsburgh with the Broadway Limited (from NYP/Philadelphia). If short on single level equipment, which Amtrak was and one of the reasons why Amtrak was giving the Cardinal, City of New Orleans, and Capitol Limited the Superliner II equipment, then Amtrak should invested in 30th Street Philadelphia Station so as to allow Superliners to access this station. It takes some maneuvering, but it is possible to get a Superliner into 30th Street Philadelphia Station, and like Washington DC, some modifications could have been done to allow Superliners to reach Philly. It didn't necessarily have to run through to NYP. 

Truth be told, Amtrak "could" restore an additional round trip WEST of Harrisburg and make it a Superliner consist - connecting with a low level Keystone train at Harrisburg and with the Capitol Limited at Pittsburgh. A connecting track in Pittsburgh would help the situation. But one could even run - in this order - a Superliner Sightseer Lounge, two Superliner coaches, and a Superliner Sleeper (just like the Empire Builder's consist between Spokane and Portland. However, the P42 locomotive and Superliner Sightseer Lounge could be taken OFF at Pittsburgh so that their's better utilization of the equipment, and then the equipment heading west of Pittsburgh is identical to that of the Empire Builder. There are no High Level platforms WEST of Harrisburg. I would think some sort of accomodation can be made at Harrisburg. If timed properly they could even do a same day turn at Harrisburg - tight but doable!

Date: 11/12/19 04:29
Author: RuleG

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But in 1994 was it running as a separate train
> from the Broadway Limited or was it combined at
> Pittsburgh? I know that it seemed to be "back and
> forth." The fact that it has head end traffic,
> coaches, lounge, dome, diner, and two sleepers on
> the rear render me to believe it is operating
> separate to the Broadway Limited. Anyone remember
> the years that it was combine and then was split -
> in summary or in brief?

On October 1, 1981, Amtrak inaugurated the Capitol Limited service which was combined with the Broadway Limited between Chicago and Pittsburgh.  On October 26, 1986, Amtrak began operating the Capitol Limited as a separate train, but using the same route as the Broadway Limited west of Pittsburgh.  On November 11, 1990, Amtrak shifted the Capitol Limited to its current route via Alliance, Cleveland and Toledo and the Broadway Limited was rerouted via Youngstown and Akron.  There was never a "back and forth."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/19 04:43 by RuleG.

Date: 11/14/19 17:49
Author: ProAmtrak

I miss how Amtrak was back then, I wish Downs didn't rely on Mercer and kept Amtrak the way it was, all that work Claytor and Co. did went to crap after the 1ST Cuts happened in 95, it's been a battle ever since!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds