Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Passenger Trains > Man Misses Amtrak Train - Climbs On Side Of Moving Amfleet Coach

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/26/20 13:17
Man Misses Amtrak Train - Climbs On Side Of Moving Amfleet Coach
Author: restricted_speed

This is at Ashland, VA

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/26/20 13:26
Re: Man Misses Amtrak Train - Climbs On Side Of Moving Amfleet Co
Author: bluesboyst

Wow...you can't fix stupid.   Just glad he did not have to hang on going 79 plus...

Date: 02/26/20 13:41
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Looks like he had 3 points of contact, but without a high visibility safety vest, was nearly killed.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/26/20 13:54
Author: atsf121

That is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. And to be clear, I’ve done my share of dumb things. But man alive, that was weird to watch. Glad they denied him entry.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/26/20 14:00
Author: andersonb109

Hopefully he was denied boarding.

Date: 02/26/20 14:40
Author: goneon66

too bad he didn't know how to get off moving equipment with his trailing foot first..............

Date: 02/26/20 14:41
Author: BoilingMan

I'm not defending the passenger in any way-  and I had the same thing happen twice (!!) in my years with Amtrak.  (Once on the Coast Starlight and again on the Capitol Corridor)
But...
It's the conductor's job to watch for such things until the train has cleared the platform.  If that guy had been injured the conductor would have been in a world of trouble.   HE got lucky too!
SR

This is a rule book thing- not an opinion thing.

Date: 02/26/20 14:44
Author: joemvcnj

I guess Common Sense needs to be added to the SAT exam. Some people only learn for test prep. 

Date: 02/26/20 16:02
Author: santafedan

That is the way they ride across the pond.

Date: 02/26/20 16:28
Author: GenePoon

Watching the entire video, which Virtual Railfan enlarged so that you could see more detail, the conductor did not allow him to board.  He got off, and the train went on its way.

The idiot was banging on the door with his coffee cup.  Maybe he went back to the coffee place and begged for a free refill as he waited for his train or went back to his car.

A couple of nights ago, a late westbound Southwest Chief at La Plata stopped when the conductor spotted a tardy passenger running after the train.  He DID let the passenger on, but had the train been on time instead of ten minutes late, it would have been well on its way when this doofus arrived at the station. 

I guess some people don't have watches any more; they depend on the time displayed on their accursed cellphones...when they get around to looking at them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/20 16:48 by GenePoon.

Date: 02/26/20 16:49
Author: GenePoon

"Those damned trains are NEVER on time..."

HA HA HA

Date: 02/26/20 17:00
Author: ProAmtrak

Saw that a few years ago once no. 3 highballed here in Flagstaff with 2 guys racing to get on, the conductor told them not to do it, but they did, she stopped the train to make sure they didn't get hurt, but I know after she let them on and let the head conductor know the rear was cleared, she chewed both guys out!

Posted from Android

Date: 02/26/20 18:04
Author: RodneyZona

That was the northbound Amtrak train 84, engine 187, the Northeast Regional,  heading for Washington DC and Boston from Norfolk, VA.  It was on the former RF&P RR trackage and that stupid guy was running south on N Center Street crossing Henry Clay Road towards the Amtrak depot and climbed on the west side of the train and the conductor noticed that guy and stopped the train with tail end cleared the W Patrick Street crossing and that guy dropped off. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/20 04:02 by RodneyZona.

Date: 02/26/20 18:36
Author: JimMRL

A few years ago in West Texas on the Texas Eagle someone wandered off at a smoke stop.  She jumped on the side like this and the Conductor let her on, but from what I heard he really chewed her out.

Jim

Date: 02/26/20 20:02
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

Sounds pretty damn common. A few years back on the westbound Empire Builder, a guy ignored warnings at Havre and went bar hopping. Missing the re-board, of course, he paid a local a hundred bucks to drive him to Shelby. But when they arrived at Shelby, the train was already pulling out of the station. After rapidly pacing alongside the accelerating train, he jumped at one of the Superliner doors, grabbing and clinging to the side handles and pinning his feet onto the tiny ledge. 

Someone on T&E saw him and the hogger dumped the air. We had to wait for the Sheriff who then held him for pickup by the Feds. The whole thing was batsh*t crazy. 

Date: 02/26/20 20:08
Author: jcaestecker

Remember the cable show called "Jackass?"

Fits.

Date: 02/27/20 06:08

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hopefully he was denied boarding.

At the 3:20 mark in the video you can see him being forcefully pushed off.

Later he can be seen walking back on the platform.

Date: 02/27/20 06:10

BoilingMan Wrote:
> I'm not defending the passenger in any way-  and
> I had the same thing happen twice (!!) in my years
> with Amtrak.  (Once on the Coast Starlight and
> again on the Capitol Corridor)
> But...
> It's the conductor's job to watch for such things
> until the train has cleared the platform.  If
> that guy had been injured the conductor would have
> been in a world of trouble.   HE got lucky too!
> SR
>
> This is a rule book thing- not an opinion thing.

I thought the same thing.

If you watch closely you can see the guy waving and (apparently) yelling as he is running.  And it almost seems like the conductor does see him as he closes up.

Not defending this guy either, but as a conductor u gotta expect stupid from people and make damn sure your train is clear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/20 06:11 by restricted_speed.

Date: 02/27/20 06:20
Author: joemvcnj

Probably some F-bombs were said at 3:25.
Maybe DD will give him a refill. 

Date: 02/27/20 07:01
Author: KV1guy

BoilingMan Wrote:

> But...
> It's the conductor's job to watch for such things
> until the train has cleared the platform.  If
> that guy had been injured the conductor would have
> been in a world of trouble.   HE got lucky too!
> SR
>
> This is a rule book thing- not an opinion thing.

So let me clear some things up so that the actual FACTS can be known about this.  Unlike whats quoted here, there is NO "rule book thing" going on here.  First off, it was the A/C watching the train clear the station platform.  He had noticed that person running, but from that distance he thought it was a morning jogger as is VERY common to see in Ashland.  He cleared the train to proceed and it did.  While watching the platform as he's suppose to do, he noticed what then transpired.  He stepped in the vestibule (to keep the wind from drowning out his transmission) and radioed the engineer to bring the train to a slow gradual stop which is why it took so long to stop.  The Conductor then met the guy at the door and told him to step off the side of the train, even though he claimed to have a ticket.  The Conductor waited for him to get off and step away as seen on the video before clearing the train to proceed.

If that guy had gotten hurt, it would never have been the crew's fault because they did EXACTLY what they were suppose to do....and the video proved it.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds