Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Passenger Trains > FL: Tri-Rail Miami downtown link to BrightLine station

Date: 05/21/20 07:36
FL: Tri-Rail Miami downtown link to BrightLine station
Author: Lackawanna484

There hasn't been much recent progress on the link connecting Tri-Rail commuter service to the new Virgin / BrightLine station in downtown Miami, but I thought this map might be of interest. The physical track connection has been made, but signal and train compatibility issues apparently remain a sticking point. 

In the top picture, the Willkie D Ferguson / Federal Court Center stop for the free People Mover is visible to the left.  The subway-like MetroRail's Government Center station is on the other side of the BrightLine station. It's a very convenient locus of travel.

https://www.tri-rail.com/pages/view/downtown-miami-link

Date: 05/21/20 13:25
Re: FL: Tri-Rail Miami downtown link to BrightLine station
Author: sums007

Thanks.  I was looking to see if there were any obstacles to a three-track main line on the FEC, if needed,  and there didn't seem to be.  

Date: 05/21/20 20:43
Author: BRAtkinson

I don't see any reason to connect the two lines in Miami.  Connecting north of West Palm Beach makes more sense.  And right now, one can take the elevated Metro line between the Brightline station and two Tri-Rail stations.

Simply put, why would someone want to travel south to Miami on either line and then backtrack north on the other?  I think it would make more sense that once Brightline opens up to Orlando, etc, that every other southbound train would take the connection to Tri-Rail and serve those stations (in competition to Tri-Rail or as extra service?).  Of course, Brightline fares for Tri-Rail stops would be at Brightline per mile pricing vs subsidized Tri-Rail fares.

Date: 05/21/20 23:31
Author: sums007

Well, if they follow that suggestion, then the connection at Iris IS needed.  For people who are physically challenged, changing here and there presents problems.  I know--from personal experience.  There is a value to some for a one-seat ride.

Date: 05/22/20 09:28
Author: Passfanatic

I think when most people are heading to a downtown area in a major city on commuter rail, they want to be dropped off in Downtown, rather than six miles away west of Downtown. When Tri-Rail starts running to Downtown Miami, it will be very welcoming not only for those people who work in Downtown or surrounding sections but who want to maybe catch a game at the sports arena or who want to explore Brickell.

Date: 05/22/20 10:40
Author: Lackawanna484

Back in the days of great plans, Tri-Rail and its parent agency envisioned a giant figure 8.

Rail, light rail, buses etc linking all three metro airports, downtowns, job centers, etc. Minimizing the need to use your car.

Traffic in the Miami area is often grid locked. Fort Lauderdale is getting that way.

What actually happens should be interesting. This place is growing like crazy...

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.031 seconds