Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Passenger Trains > NJT Action in Allendale and Ramsey on 7/4/20

Date: 07/05/20 16:04
NJT Action in Allendale and Ramsey on 7/4/20
Author: Passfanatic

Since the pandemic started, I did my first out of town railfanning trip. I went to Allendale and Ramsey on 7/4/20 to photograph NJT action and the stations. We start off in Allendale. Allendale Station is pretty neat because you not only have the station building but also you have the former Erie buildings that still make up the entrances and exits to the pedestrian underpasses.
1. Allendale Station Building

2. Looking west toward Suffern and Pt. Jervis with the signals at the north end of the Allendale Station platform.

3. Allendale Station-looking east toward Ridgewood and Hoboken.

Date: 07/05/20 16:06
Re: NJT Action in Allendale and Ramsey on 7/4/20

1. A few of the pedestrian underpass entrances of Allendale Station

2. NJT Train # 1720 arrives into Allendale Station to pick up three passengers. A multilevel set is being used.

3. An ALP45DP pushes Train # 1720 out of Allendale Station heading to Hoboken. Next stop is Waldwick.

Date: 07/05/20 16:09

1. NJT Train # 1723 arrives into Ramsey Station with an ALP45DP pulling a multilevel set.

2. Train # 1723 departs Ramsey Main St Station heading away from me

3. MNR F40PH-3C leads NJT Train # 77 into Ramsey Main St Station heading to Pt. Jervis.

Date: 07/05/20 16:11

1. A NJT Comet V cab brings up the rear of Train # 77 as it departs Ramsey Main St Station. Next stop is Ramsey Rt. 17 Station.

2. NJT Train # 78 arrives into Ramsey Main St Station with a NJT Comet V Cab leading

3. MNR GP40PH-2 # 4906 sits on the rear of NJT Train # 77 at Ramsey Main St Station just before heading to Hoboken.

Date: 07/05/20 16:13

1. NJT Train # 1724 departs Ramsey Main St Station heading from Suffern to Hoboken.

2. An ALP45DP brings up the rear of NJT Train # 1724 after departing Ramsey Main St Station

3. A ALP45DP leads a multilevel set into Ramsey Main St Station running at NJT Train # 1725.

Date: 07/05/20 16:15

1. NJT Train # 1725 leaves Ramsey Main St Station behind

2. The classic Erie Ramsey Main St Station Building

3. An eastbound NJT Multilevel Set running as train # 1724 arrives into Ramsey Main St Station

Date: 07/06/20 05:38
Author: overniteman

Nice set of shots!

I grew up in Bergen County and have to get back up,there to catch the NJT "Jersey Central" heritge unit that;s running on the ex-EL.

Date: 07/06/20 13:03
Author: OCtrainguy

Nice series of photos!  My son and I were at Waldwick and Ho-Ho-Kus on Friday.  We also saw the Metro North F40 and the GP40 engines, which were both very cool to see!  A lot of dual modes and multi-level trains (that were all rather empty) but no CNJ heritage engine.  Will have to try again.  

Date: 07/06/20 14:59
Author: rtetro

What a wonderful group of pictures.  They bring back great memories of when i commuted on the line from Harriman and Middletown.  I would often drive to Ramsey to get the train if I was working weird hours.  Also, my wife, who worked in Hackensack, would often pick me up in Allendale at night if we wanted to do something in Jersey before heading home.

Rene Tetro
Lansdale, PA
West Point Community Radio

Date: 07/06/20 15:46
Author: twropr

The signals in the upper photo look very similar to the ones that the New York Central installed on the Buffalo-Chicago main line - a T-shaped mast with double tri-color lenses on each end of the T.
Andy

Passfanatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. NJT Train # 1725 leaves Ramsey Main St Station
> behind
>
> 2. The classic Erie Ramsey Main St Station
> Building
>
> 3. An eastbound NJT Multilevel Set running as
> train # 1724 arrives into Ramsey Main St Station

Date: 07/06/20 15:47

Thanks guys for the wishes. Here are the remaining pictures.

1. NJT ALP45DP # 4505 pushing an eastbound out of Ramsey Main St Station

2. NJT GP40PH-2 # 4207 leads Train # 1727 into Ramsey Main St Station heading to Suffern.

3. The 4207 pulls its train of Comet IIs and a V cab out of Ramsey Station.

Date: 07/06/20 15:49

1. NJT Comet V Cab Car # 6030 trails on 1727 toward its next stop of Ramsey Rt 17 Station

2. NJT Pt. Jervis Express Train # 79, being led by MNR GP40PH-2 # 4906, is about to zip past Ramsey Main St Station.

3. Next stop for Train # 79 is Ramsey Main St Station

Date: 07/06/20 15:54

Pictures 1 and 2-NJT Train # 80 bypassing Ramsey Main St Station heading to Hoboken with a MNR F40PH-3CAT pushing.

Picture 3-NJT Train # 1728 arrives into Ramsey Main St Station

Date: 07/06/20 15:55

Bonus shot of NJT GP40PH-2 # 4207 pushing Train # 1728 out of Clifton Station which I took back from Ramsey.

Date: 07/06/20 15:59

OCtrainguy Wrote:
> Nice series of photos!  My son and I were at
> Waldwick and Ho-Ho-Kus on Friday.  We also saw
> the Metro North F40 and the GP40 engines, which
> were both very cool to see!  A lot of dual modes
> and multi-level trains (that were all rather
> empty) but no CNJ heritage engine.  Will have to
> try again.  

Let me guess, you were along Hollywood Ave. That's a really great spot to photograph westbounds during the warmer months. I have been there. The dual mode pulling the multilevels rarely make it past Suffern. A lot of the older MNR power pulls the trains to Pt. Jervis. The CNJ heritage Geep was enjoying its rest in Pt. Jervis yard on 7/4 weekend.

Date: 07/06/20 16:36
Author: Ray_Murphy

twropr Wrote:
> The signals in the upper photo look very similar
> to the ones that the New York Central installed on
> the Buffalo-Chicago main line - a T-shaped mast
> with double tri-color lenses on each end of the T.

Back when this was the 4-track Erie main line, those block signals controlled the two eastbound and two westbound tracks independently. What is their current functional arrangement? Are they now bi-directional block signals for the two tracks? (the masts have been moved so as to be adjacent to the two remaining tracks).

Ray

Date: 07/06/20 17:07

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
> twropr Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The signals in the upper photo look very
> similar
> > to the ones that the New York Central installed
> on
> > the Buffalo-Chicago main line - a T-shaped mast
> > with double tri-color lenses on each end of the
> T.
>
> Back when this was the 4-track Erie main line,
> those block signals controlled the two eastbound
> and two westbound tracks independently. What is
> their current functional arrangement? Are they now
> bi-directional block signals for the two tracks?
> (the masts have been moved so as to be adjacent to
> the two remaining tracks).
>
> Ray

I believe that the signals are good for bidirectional movements on any track. By the way, in NJT's latest proposal, they did mention extending the third track from WC Interlocking in Waldwick to Suffern. I think this is a great idea for the following reasons. 1. It would enable NJT to extend more of those Waldwick turns to Suffern closing any bihourly gaps in service at stations on the Main & Bergen County Line between Allendale and Suffern. 2. This would enable more express service to the Pt. Jervis Line. North of the NY/NJ state line, the MTA calls the shots for NJT operations to Pt. Jervis and there is a proposal to add a very long siding between Harriman and Moodna Viaduct, I believe as well as a yard around Campbell Hall. With the ever growing population in Orange County along the Pt. Jervis Line east of Middletown, it's important that these track capacity projects get started. When the long siding and mid storage yard is done, that will enable the MTA to let more trains continue west of Suffern but many of them would only go as far as Middletown-Town of Walkill. Not only do we need the expanded track improvements on the Pt. Jervis Line. Having the extension of the third track on the Main & Bergen County Line between Waldwick and Suffern will enable NJT to have as many of the trains heading to the Pt. Jervis Line to run express in NJ as much as possible. Those Pt. Jervis Line passengers do not appreciate having their trains make every single stop in NJ. That slows down the travel time a lot. If this third track ever gets built, those signals will have to be removed or at least one of them. NJT is also considering adding high level platforms at the stations north of Ridgewood. Ho-Ho-Kus is a bit tough since it's on a big curve.

Date: 07/07/20 18:02
Author: OCtrainguy

Passfanatic Wrote:
> OCtrainguy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice series of photos!  My son and I were at
> > Waldwick and Ho-Ho-Kus on Friday.  We also saw
> > the Metro North F40 and the GP40 engines, which
> > were both very cool to see!  A lot of dual
> modes
> > and multi-level trains (that were all rather
> > empty) but no CNJ heritage engine.  Will have
> to
> > try again.  
>
> Let me guess, you were along Hollywood Ave. That's
> a really great spot to photograph westbounds
> during the warmer months. I have been there. The
> dual mode pulling the multilevels rarely make it
> past Suffern. A lot of the older MNR power pulls
> the trains to Pt. Jervis. The CNJ heritage Geep
> was enjoying its rest in Pt. Jervis yard on 7/4
> weekend.

I wanted to do photos from Hollywood Avenue, but my son preferred the station area.  I will have to re-suggest that to him for next time.  The sun was in the tree line by the time we arrived there from Waldwick.  And thanks for the info on the 4109.  We figured Sufferm or Port Jervis.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1565 seconds