Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Passenger Trains > NJT 4112 on home rails - the videos

Date: 09/07/20 06:17
NJT 4112 on home rails - the videos
Author: OCtrainguy

This is a continuation of a post from August 30yh, as I have been having issues uploading the videos.  On August 12th, my son got a head's up about an equipment move from New Jersey Transit's maintenance complex to Bay Head and back.  I believe this one was the MM08 if I recall correctly.  These moves happen regularly, but this one had NJT 4112, one of the former CNJ GP40P units.  So with some info that the train was in Long Branch, my son and I headed to Bay Head on the North Jersey Coast Line to watch the train pull in.  

We got there with a moment or so to spare as we saw the headlight down the tracks in Point Pleasant Beach.  The engine was originally CNJ 3678(GP40P) and then NJT 4107(GP40P) before being rebuilt as 4112 by Conrail's Juniata Locomotive Shop.  Not knowing how the lighting would be in Bay Head, or how long the engine would be idle in one spot, I just opted for what my cell phone camera could do.  Overall, I think the results aren't too shabby.  What was real nice was just listening to the Geep working in the yard with the EMD engine sounds in the quiet night.  That really made the trip worth it, in addition to actually seeing it.  The 4109 is still in passenger service (out of Hoboken), and wearing a CNJ paint scheme, while most others are on non-revenue trains or in protect service. Recent photos of Main/Bergen/Port Jervis line trains also show the 4100 in passenger service.

The first video is of the train arriving in Bay Head.  Signal upgrades now allow westbound (into Bay Head) trains to pull into the closest station track and skip the loop.   (Link to my original post with the photo:  https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,5094609,5095102#msg-5095102)

The next post will have the second video (due to the size of the two videos)  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/20 12:05 by OCtrainguy.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/07/20 06:25
Re: NJT 4112 on home rails - the videos
Author: OCtrainguy

On the second video, once their work was done in Bay Head, the equipment move heads back to the MMC, seen here passing the Bay Head station with a mix of coaches and a ALP45 (dual mode) in tow. 

Hope you enjoy! 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/07/20 06:29
Re: NJT 4112 on home rails - the videos
Author: joemvcnj

You won't see it on the ex-CNJ Raritan Line, except perhaps as a cab car on the east end of a consist. Their HEP is only good for 5 MLV cars. 8 of 10 RVL consists are MLV cars , either 6 and 7 cars. 

If you see a mixed consist of MLV and Comet cars, it is a shop move. They don't mix in revenue service. The communication systems don't all get along. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/20 06:32 by joemvcnj.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds