Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Passenger Trains > Meet the Potential new Sec of Trans.

Date: 11/12/20 09:52
Meet the Potential new Sec of Trans.
Author: scraphauler

Date: 11/12/20 11:27
Re: Meet the Potential new Sec of Trans.
Author: radar

The transition team leader for transportation is not the Secretary of Transportation.  If anything, it makes him less likely to be named the Secretary.  Somehow, I doubt transportation is all that high on the list for cabinet selection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/20 11:28 by radar.

Date: 11/12/20 12:43
Author: Lackawanna484

Didn't George W Bush assign Dick Cheney the job of screening candidates for  potential Vice President?

He looked high, looked low, talked to many people. But, when all was said and done, he found his candidate by looking in the mirror

Date: 11/12/20 14:18
Author: SCAX3401

radar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Somehow, I doubt transportation is
> all that high on the list for cabinet selection.

True the Transportation Secretary isn't a highly visibility secretary like state, defense or treasury....given Biden's greater interest in Transportation than most presidents, I imagine he will give it a little more thought than someone would otherwise but it not going to high on the priority list.

Date: 11/12/20 14:22
Author: ronald321

So glad that -- in addition to looking at the DOT -- the Biden transition team will also be looking at Amtrak!

Hopefully, this will result in many of the Delta guys being shown the door.  Then, maybe this downward spiral  in Amtrak 
service to customers will end.

Date: 11/12/20 14:41
Author: Molino

Sarah Feinberg may be the next DOT boss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/20 14:42 by Molino.

Date: 11/12/20 15:21
Author: ProAmtrak

ronald321 Wrote:
> So glad that -- in addition to looking at the DOT
> -- the Biden transition team will also be looking
> at Amtrak!
>
> Hopefully, this will result in many of the Delta
> guys being shown the door.  Then, maybe this
> downward spiral  in Amtrak 
> service to customers will end.

The 1ST part, yea, 2ND, hopefully!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/13/20 08:10
Author: Skyline

Yes, and for much of his administration the tail wagged the dog.

Date: 11/13/20 14:29
Author: PRR1361

Not just the flyboys must go, but the entire board as well; they are incompetent political hacks, with no RR experience anywhere.

Date: 11/13/20 18:25
Author: ProAmtrak

That's the key, railroad experience, ever since the 60s when freight railroads, especially Southern Pacific, hired college educated people who had 0 railroading experience and most of the time was part of that downward spiral into near oblivion!

Date: 11/14/20 14:15
Author: pdt

ProAmtrak Wrote:
> That's the key, railroad experience, ever since
> the 60s when freight railroads, especially
> Southern Pacific, hired college educated people
> who had 0 railroading experience and most of the
> time was part of that downward spiral into near
> oblivion!

Thats the problem with going public, and handing over top job (chairman of the board) to a lawyer who represents the largest shareholder.   They rarely have any interest in long term survivability.  Just "what can we get out of the cmpany now".    The chairman, being a lawyer, will want a lawyer for CEO, cause they talk the same language, and belong to the same golf club.   The the CEO or pres hires a bunch more ppl like himself below him.   And we end up with the UP, where, as ive said before, they might as well be selling widgets.    Im surprised they havent been selling more and more of the RR off piecemeal...altho they might be afraid that sell off pieces will backfire and kick them in the ass somehow, someday.  IDK. 

All I know, is they survive bc of their size, not cause of smarts.   IMHO

Date: 11/15/20 08:27
Author: cchan006

Molino Wrote:
> Sarah Feinberg may be the next DOT boss.

Care to elaborate on why that is? TO members could use some analysis (right or wrong) from you, instead of a cheap "I told you so" prediction game, since this wasn't mentioned in the article. I have my reasons, but I think you have a better audience than me.

She was of course Obama's appointee for the FRA. She also spent time at Facebook. She's currently the acting President of NY Transit Authority. There might be a reason why Mr. Washington was picked for the "transition" instead of her (similar qualifications), especially for the very few people on TO who understand the REAL relationship between Obama and Biden.

It's my hope that she understands the tech industry enough to prevent invasion of software pipe dreams into railroading to ruin the industry forever. 

Date: 11/15/20 11:12
Author: Molino

Key word being may be the next one due to obama/biden administration experience, transportation backround, politically savvy. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.8922 seconds