Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Passenger Trains > my California experience

Date: 12/17/01 06:51
my California experience
Author: floridajoe2001

Spent four days in Los Angeles last week and did a lot of railfaning. Following are a few observations.

1. Union Station looked quite busy most days. Station in beautiful condition.

2. Metrolink trains are spotless with very clean windows. All trains looked well patronized.

3. The Sunset was listed as 12 hours late. Didn't have the hart to check the board again.

4. The Pacific Surfliner equipment is attractive both inside and out. However, (here comes the bad news), the equipment has a very bad "flat wheel" problem. Almost every set has a least 2 or three cars with this problem. Also exteriors always appear much dirtier than Metrolink equipment.

5. I thought the crews on the Surfliners to both San Daigo and Santa Barbara were very good. All delays were anounced and explained.

6. The Southwest Chief handles a lot of express/freight at the Lax station. Observed this operation 3 nights in a row, and can report that it takes 30 minutes to switch the passenger cars (with passengers aboard) to the adjacent track to pick of the freight cars.

7. The Coast Starlite is still a big and busy train, but the Chief if down to 7 passenger cars (2 coaches, 2 sleepers).

Date: 12/17/01 08:00
RE: my California experience
Author: TexasBill

<< 6. The Southwest Chief handles a lot of express/freight at the Lax station. Observed this operation 3 nights in a row, and can report that it takes 30 minutes to switch the passenger cars (with passengers aboard) to the adjacent track to pick of the freight cars. >>

I was on a #2/22 in June that did it in 20 minutes, with just a P40 on the point and an F40. Of course an old head was at the throttle. Too, there were only 8 express cars involved.

Bill in Texas

Date: 12/17/01 16:06
RE: my California experience
Author: puckeringswine

Metrolink trains travel shorter distances and I believe most sets of equipment see the wash rack at least 4 to 5 times a week. the Surfliners run in longer cycles and may go several days with out being washed. Amtrak has wash racks in L.A. and Goleta for these trains and they are not always in service. The double over for the mail express takes 20 to 30 minutes depending on lots of varibles, the Crew, the Dispatcher, and the Mechanical Department. I believe the schedule allows 20 minutes for the pick up and air brake testing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3072 seconds