Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Passenger Trains > Good Summary of Bill Cleared by Senate Commerce Committee re Rail

Date: 06/15/21 07:05
Good Summary of Bill Cleared by Senate Commerce Committee re Rail
Author: swirsk53

Date: 06/15/21 10:06
Re: Good Summary of Bill Cleared by Senate Commerce Committee re
Author: Cumbresfan

From the link:

$36 billion for rail. For passenger rail, it authorizes more than $25 billion for intercity passenger rail. According to the Committee, it “protects Amtrak’s critically important long-distance routes,” addresses the Northeast Corridor project backlog, and encourages expansion of passenger rail corridors with state support. The rail funding also includes more than $7.5 billion for rail safety and improvement projects, such as a new $500 million per year grant program to eliminate grade crossings as well as increased funding for the Consolidated Rail and Infrastructure Safety Improvement (CRISI) grant program.

Once again Congress recognizes the need for support of long-distance routes. Unfortunately Amtrak management either doesn't or won't take advantage of congressional support by their continuing to downgrade the customer experience either through neglect or deliberate actions such as removing the lounge on the Texas Eagle and limiting the dining experience for coach passengers. Of course ongoing issues of equipment maintenance, both engines and running equipment, contribute to delays, cancellations and a negative experience for the passengers.

Date: 06/15/21 12:25
Author: realistic

Bill won't see the light of day. Way too expensive.

Date: 06/15/21 13:39
Author: MojaveBill

It has already seen the light of day with bi-partisan support.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 06/15/21 15:33
Author: jp1822

I would agree with initial comments - wonderful words by Congress to save the LD trains and give them funding.....Cue the golf clap.........Run the positive Railway Age article!

But if Amtrak management and its board is not going to embrace, with some sort of vigor and excitement, its ROLE to run these LD overnight trains, why bother! It's all for nothing. I've often thought - just kill them now and take them out of their misery. Remember it like it was, not like this. Or break the LD trains into separate corridors once and for all if they want to do that! Instead, the IMAGE portrayed (whether Amtrak realizes this or not) is  increasingly bad service, poor F&B practices or not enough equipment, or no amenities, or overpricing, or whatever under current regime.

I've seen no examples in the present leadership where they would want to support, sustain, or even try to expand the LD trains in any way. In everything that has come out about expanded service - Amtrak has been VERY specific that the LD network will NOT be expanded. That's very clear in every presentation. In terms of just the F&B logistics - I understand completely the situation that Amtrak is in at present. But I am simply talking about  the fact that the Southwest Chief runs out of food by ABQ (westbound) with no solution on how to provide food for the remaining 12+ hours of running. And this is NOT an isolated incident or the only occurrence, by far. 

And in terms of "Bills" or "Funding" that Congress may come up with - it's almost like - "fine give us the money, we'll take it, ho-hum, but we are not doing anything to support or help the step children." Look, I hope I am wrong. I hope that maybe traditional dining will re-energize LD train travel. But its NEVER going to do that or be nearly as successful as it could be with lack of sleepers, coaches, lounges, etc. running in the consist. And if things are being misinterpreted, why not just set the record straight:

- Eastern LD trains are running with only 2 Amfleet II coaches at most because we have to cycle the cars through maintenance - OK, explanation given, and I would think they are working towards a solution to add.
- Sleeper cars are running full. If they are or aren't - why not be specific with what the sleeper sellout rates are? Amtrak has that data? 
- Why haven't some LD Western Long Haul's gotten their pre-COVID consist back - and I mean the three sleepers for Coast Starlight, two full sleepers for Southwest Chief, three sleepers on the Empire Builder and CA Zephyr. Again, Amtrak has the numbers - what's the status?
- NARP (RPA - whatever they are called now) - why are they not pressing Amtrak for some data - facts and figures. Lets try to set the record straight? 
- Why not reveal some recovery statistics and data that Amtrak is seeing. IS the National Network getting a better jump on things than than the Northeast? 

If the National Network is tripping over each other and failing to attract riders back - then maybe it should be shutdown and that argument better explained to Congress. But if there's holes in that argument and the National Network is actually growing and Amtrak is not keeping up with demand and supply models - then the Inspector General's Office should be called in to verify it and make their recommendations as well. 

There's just a LOT of silly things happening out there - or at least it looks silly. Some better explanations would help. I don't need to re-numerate. It's all been thrown up here on various forums. And even though we have a labor shortage across the nation, Amtrak seemed pretty well "stocked" with onboard staff waiting for daily operation to resume, waiting for the second Seattle sleeper to be added, etc. when I was on the train back in April/May of this year. 

Date: 06/15/21 17:19
Author: WrongWayMurphy

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It has already seen the light of day with
> bi-partisan support.

While it may have seen a glimmer of light, it now goes to the House which will alter it (they always do),
then back to Senate to see if they approve of what the House did.

It may or may not see full daylight.  I think this bill will pass eventually but not this full version.

Date: 06/15/21 18:43
Author: Lackawanna484

Is this bill part of the "skinny" infrastructure package the Republican legislators are talking about? A bill for railroads, another for highways, another for barges, etc and leave it at that?   There are a lot of Democrats who want to see a more comprehensive (broader) package, or they aren't getting on the train....

Date: 06/15/21 21:43
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice it keeps the LD Network, sucks there's no plans to resurrect routes and replace the Superliners!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds