Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Passenger Trains > Rocky Has Arrived

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/21/21 22:27
Rocky Has Arrived
Author: walstib

I caught the Rocky Mountaineer passenger train consist for the new Denver-to-Moab service deadheading south on the U.P. south of Spokane this evening.

The equipment came across the border from Canada earlier Monday.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/22/21 00:13
Re: Rocky Has Arrived
Author: 8notch

Nice catch

Date: 06/22/21 01:08
Author: goduckies

walstib Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I caught the Rocky Mountaineer passenger train
> consist for the new Denver-to-Moab service
> deadheading south on the U.P. south of Spokane
> this evening.
>
> The equipment came across the border from Canada
> earlier Monday.

Darn wish I knew it was coming doh

Posted from Android

Date: 06/22/21 02:47
Author: amtrakbill

Nice!
But no domes

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/22/21 03:06
Author: Train29

Apparently the Gold Leaf high level cars won't fit through the tunnels on the ex. D&RGW. I had read there is a newly re-build lounge car and open viewing area. I don't see that in the video but the train was moving quite fast. Perhaps it's the doors  in what looks like a baggage or power car at the rear of the train?

Date: 06/22/21 05:45
Author: swirsk53

i think the passenger carrying cars have been rebuilt with larger windows and curving roof glass similar to Sightseer Lounges on the Superliners 

Date: 06/22/21 06:52
Author: CP8888

We can't get to Canada so bring the train to us.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/22/21 07:16
Author: webmaster

I was looking at their trip description page and I have to marvel at the creative writing they use to describe the hotel accomodations in Glenwood Springs:

HOTEL
Glenwood Springs AccommodationUpon check-in to your rail journey, your Glenwood Springs accommodation will be confirmed. Your accommodation will be of a moderate standard but will include all the essential amenities to make your stay comfortable.

What is "moderate standard?"  I think they are trying to say you will be staying at the middle of the crappiest hotels in Glenwood Springs.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 06/22/21 07:28
Author: dan

hotels in  GSC charge more than I am used to paying, don't know of any dumps up there

the regular cars such as the ones buillt by Rader/colo railcar are not amtrak approved, may be as tall as tallest autorack that do not operate on the moffat  anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/21 08:12 by dan.

Date: 06/22/21 07:40
Author: joemvcnj

Mostly ex-CN coaches ? It was going to fast to see. 

Date: 06/22/21 09:14
Author: NPRocky

I was wondering if the lounge is one of the two existing ones that they have for special groups.  I think I saw two or three old Red Leaf coaches, probably for use as crew or baggage cars.  I wonder how many old Red Leaf coaches Rocky Mountaineer had converted to Silver Leaf cars this past winter.  I think they were doing three or four per-winter before the pandemic.

Date: 06/22/21 09:25

Even though there is no “gold” level on this train, Rocky has still managed to offer different levels of service by splitting the silver level into two — regular silver, and something they call “silver plus.”

Those who pay more for silver plus have exclusive access to the newly-renovated lounge car, according to the Rocky’s website.

I’m not sure which cars they are in the video.

Silver plus passengers also have access to specially-crafted cocktails, and, from the sound of it, top-shelf booze.

I’m not a drinker, but perhaps that is appealing to those who do.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/22/21 09:25
Author: OSWishram

As to hotels, our overnight on Rocky was in Kamloops, where they use several hotels due to the large number of overnighting passengers (off several trains), all hotels described by Rocky as "moderate." Our hotel was the Coast Hotel Kamloops, which we found to be delightful.  More than just fine for a one-night stay.  No complaints at all.

With just the one train in Glenwood Springs, I would think the company can engage good lodgings for their passengers.

Bob Willer
Flatlands

Date: 06/22/21 11:02
Author: eminence_grise

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Mostly ex-CN coaches ? It was going to fast to
> see. 

I think all the single level cars are former CC&F "EM" (Electro Mechanical air conditioning) coaches, part of the big 1955 order by  CN.The generator cars are ex-CN and ex-Ontario Northland. RM converted the coaches to HEP in Kamloops, and converted the baggage cars to genertor cars. I'm not sure whether RM HEP is compatible to Via or Amtrak. 

Date: 06/22/21 11:09
Author: retcsxcfm

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Mostly ex-CN coaches ? It was going to fast to
> see. 

Pause it,like I did.
Last car looks like a power car.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 06/22/21 14:36
Author: atsf121

Nice catch, good looking train.  Hopefully I can sneak out to eastern Utah when it starts running.

Nathan

Date: 06/22/21 20:21
Author: Jbarton

Thanks for sharing this video.  A nice looking train that will look good next to the CZ at DUS.  I realize they won't, but it would be fun if they kept the C.P. unit on as we don't get many of those here in Denver.

Jim Barton

Date: 06/22/21 20:23

That would be fun to have a taste of Canada on the point.

Reportedly, leased U.P. power will pull the train until RM units are outfitted with PTC equipment.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/22/21 22:57
Author: railsmith

NPRocky Wrote:
> I was wondering if the lounge is one of the two
> existing ones that they have for special groups. 
> I think I saw two or three old Red Leaf coaches,
> probably for use as crew or baggage cars.  I
> wonder how many old Red Leaf coaches Rocky
> Mountaineer had converted to Silver Leaf cars this
> past winter.  I think they were doing three or
> four per-winter before the pandemic.

There are now 18 Silver Leaf cars, which means Rocky is sending half of them stateside for the new service (nine are in the deadhead movement).

The lounge car is very likely one of the two you mention  -- they are numbered 3030 and 3039. The interior photo shown at Rocky's website shows a distinct similarity in the furnishings, which have fortunately been upgraded to black leather from the rather cheesy orange velvet seen in the two photos below, inside 3039 in 2007.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/21 22:58 by railsmith.

Date: 06/22/21 23:42

The 3030 and 3039 were both in this consist.

Here’s a complete list:

RMRX9272
RMRX5716
RMRX3030
RMRX2016
RMRX2015
RMRX3039
RMRX2012
RMRX2011
RMRX2010
RMRX2009
RMRX5726
RMRX2008
RMRX2007
RMRX2013
Gross Tons: 932 Length: 1182

Posted from iPhone

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2272 seconds