Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Passenger Trains > Today's Empire Builder and Hiawatha Train Sets

Date: 05/12/22 20:30
Today's Empire Builder and Hiawatha Train Sets
Author: MNR225

As noted earlier, after a long layover in Seattle, Amtrak Long Distance Charger (ALC-42) #301, in the Amtrak 1st day scheme, returned to the Midwest on the point of the Empire Builder #8.  It left Milwaukee 3 hours, 34 minutes late and passed through Sturtevant about 6:15 PM with two P42’s in a support role.  All Aboard America! (1st photo)

#8 arrived during the 340-339 traffic congestion at Sturtevant.  Amtrak apparently has more confidence in the Midwest Chargers as #340 had cab car 90221 (Veterans paint scheme) on the south end and a Charger on the north end.  340 was only 4 minutes late out of Sturtevant. (2nd photo)

A P42/Charger combination powered the other Hiawatha Service train set on 339.  The P42 looked tired and 339 was 18 minutes late 61 miles into its 85 mile run. (3rd photo).

ADB

Date: 05/12/22 20:32
Re: Today's Empire Builder and Hiawatha Train Sets
Author: DevalDragon

Nice! Glad you were able to take advantage of the good light this afternoon.

Date: 05/12/22 21:00
Author: Electroliner

There's a restaurant/bar next to the tracks named the Hiawatha?  Way cool!

Date: 05/13/22 00:25
Author: mp51w

Electroliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a restaurant/bar next to the tracks named
> the Hiawatha?  Way cool!
They put a steam engine breaking through a wall mural on the building.
The place never seemed to have much of a railroad theme inside when I lived near there.

Date: 05/13/22 04:13
Author: robj

Nice set.   All the Hiawatha sets should have 1 engine and a control car.  Running two power units on 4-5 car trains.?

If you can't figure out how to do that you do not belong in the passenger train business.

Bob

Date: 05/13/22 05:20
Author: inCHI

339 was delayed by the Metra outbound in front of it. That outbound (2133) never seems to keep tight to it's schedule. At Glenview it's scheduled 10 minutes ahead of 339 but usually is only a few minutes ahead. Yesterday, it had some bigger problem that got it 15 minutes down, so 339, 2135, 2139, and maybe more were delayed. Nice shots!

Date: 05/13/22 06:05
Author: MNR225

When things do "click" for 339 navigating METRA territory, I have seen it wait for time at Sturtevant several times (usually about 5 minutes).

ADB

Date: 05/13/22 12:32
Author: Peak45068

Very nice set of pictures.

That ‘tired’ P42 #68 got Amtrak out of the shite on Monday night when a Charger collapsed and it was summoned to work Train 354.

The following day I rode Train 350 to Kalamazoo to intercept #68’s return working which was Train 353.

It was a great ride back as I clocked the Genesis at a sustained 110 mph on various sections of track. Nice to get a P42 in Michigan again. I does look like crap but it flew like the wind.

Englishman in America

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/13/22 13:14
Author: Quakerengr

Nice capture on the Eastern Shore of Wisconsin.  Thanks for sharing..  Like the Hiawatha Resturant!

PWM

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds