Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Passenger Trains > Scouts Assist Fellow Passengers

Date: 06/28/22 05:12
Scouts Assist Fellow Passengers
Author: kevink

While it was noted about post 115 of the long-winded thread below, I felt it was worthwhile to highlight that two Scout Troops from Appleton WI were on board the Southwest Chief that derailed yesterday. They have been praised by many for their assistance in evacuating the train and rendered first aid.

As a Scoutmaster myself, I am proud of the example these young men have set.

https://www.wbay.com/2022/06/27/appleton-boy-scout-troops-amtrak-train-that-derailed/

Well done Scouts!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/28/22 05:39
Re: Scouts Assist Fellow Passengers
Author: jcaestecker

Thanks for sharing that.  Truly inspiring and uplifting at this time of great sadness.

-John

Date: 06/28/22 06:49
Author: DevalDragon

Also worth noting is the Scoutmaster was not on the train.

Date: 06/28/22 07:03
Author: engineerinvirginia

DevalDragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also worth noting is the Scoutmaster was not on
> the train.

That makes the work of the Scouts more notable!

Date: 06/28/22 07:10
Author: MattW

DevalDragon Wrote:
> the train.

THE Scoutmaster doesn't always travel with the troop, but usually one of the Assistant Scoutmasters does, and if not, it's still perfectly fine for only parents to accompany the troop as long as they have some training. I guarantee you the Scouts had some degree of adult leadership onboard.

Date: 06/28/22 07:25
Author: kevink

DevalDragon Wrote:
> the train.

It speaks well of the training and preparation of the Scouts.

All adult leaders whether they are the Scoutmaster or not have to complete training and meet requirements before they can participate in Philmont.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/22 07:27 by kevink.

Date: 06/28/22 07:38
Author: DavidP

AP reported that there were sixteen kids and eight adults in the Boy Scout party, which is from Appleton, WI.

Dave

Date: 06/28/22 08:48
Author: widowsihler

DavidP Wrote:
> AP reported that there were sixteen kids and eight
> adults in the Boy Scout party, which is from
> Appleton, WI.
>
> Dave

It's nice to have actual numbers. The state trouper (I think it was) who gave the first press conference after the wreck stated that the train had "approximately eight cars". Apparently that's cop-speak for "eight cars". (At least he didn't say "allegedly had approximately eight cars".) 

Date: 06/28/22 12:30
Author: ut-1

I took my Scout Troop to Philmont six times by train (1981, 1983, 1990, 1992, 1994 & 1999) from Utica NY to Raton NM and back; great work guys!!

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/22 12:33 by ut-1.

Date: 06/28/22 19:44
Author: rrman6

I with my BSA troop from Haviland, KS enjoyed a week of hiking, fun, and enjoying God's Country at Philmont Scout Camp near Cimarron, NM in 1958.  Many great memories of fun and learning there.  Now at the age of 81 years, I'm proud of this troop from Appleton, WI that have just showed their dedication, training, and willingness to help others during the entrapment of AMTRAK #4 passengers.  Not only did they themselves offer their help, but experienced the toppling of the train cars along with many others.  Although not knowing any of them, their leaders or their parents, I can't be more proud of them in their true Boy Scout training and of helping others in need.  True men and future leaders they will become in their lifetime and this memory will live with them everafter.  God Bless them all, their parents and scout leaders for enriching other lives in need, especially at this moment of tragedy.  So proud of these boys and the Boy Scouts of America in their ethics and training!

Date: 06/28/22 20:04
Author: mundo

Amen!

Date: 06/29/22 04:32
Author: dpudave

Nicely said, rrman6. d

Date: 06/29/22 10:19
Not the first time
Author: Alco251

They responded the same way in 1997. Same train, different spot.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1997-aug-10-mn-21294-story.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/22 14:32 by Alco251.

Date: 06/29/22 13:50
Re: Not the first time
Author: SamRae

Article in today's Washington Post, with further information.  Apparently two Scoutmasters were also on the train with the boys, and both were injured and taken to the hospital.  I'll leave the rest to the article, but it certainly goes to show that the Scouts are a good thing to have around in case of an emergency. They truly were living their motto of "Be Prepared".  I am proud of them and what they did. Most especially the 15 year old who went forward to find the dying truck-driver. Hope the article isn't behind a pay-wall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/29/boy-scout-amtrak-train-derailment/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds