Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Passenger Trains > Holiday Extra Trains for 2022

Date: 11/19/22 06:13
Holiday Extra Trains for 2022
Author: tq-07fan

In looking using the sub-par schedule tool on the Amtrak website I have not been able to find any extra Holiday trains added this year. Are there are any extra Holiday trains?

Edit: I did finally find an extra Acela added 2226 leaving Washington DC at 7:20 pm on Sunday Nov 27th. 

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/22 06:25 by tq-07fan.

Date: 11/19/22 07:16
Re: Holiday Extra Trains for 2022
Author: ClubCar

The sad thing is that Amtrak cannot even operate their regular trains in a timely fashion on many routes, so how in the world do you expect them to run extra trains?  Amtrak has been mismanaged for so many years and it's pathetic now, worst than many third world countries.  Amtrak needs new management, people who understand passenger travel and the public that they serve, which they are doing an "F" failure job right now in many places.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 11/19/22 07:35
Author: SpringedSwitch

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The sad thing is that Amtrak cannot even operate
> their regular trains in a timely fashion on many
> routes, so how in the world do you expect them to
> run extra trains?  Amtrak has been mismanaged for
> so many years and it's pathetic now, worst than
> many third world countries.  Amtrak needs new
> management, people who understand passenger travel
> and the public that they serve, which they are
> doing an "F" failure job right now in many
> places.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

It will just take time.

No "new management" could immediately restore enough cars to service or instantly fill 4000 jobs.

Date: 11/19/22 08:40
Author: Lackawanna484

For many years I would go over to MetroPark or Metuchen etc on the NEC in NJ and watch the Thanksgiving Eve rush.  Amtrak running like streetcars with "advance sections" of Florida and Carolina trains. Usually borrowed MBTA, NJ Transit, or MARC power. Everything that could run, was running.  It was impressive to see all those filled trains.  Running in both directions, bringing people home for the holidays

My sister would occasionally take a cattle train out of South Station Boston, usually commuter cars borrowed for the Boston to NYC run. Filled with college students, standing in the aisles, etc.  Priced a few dollars under the regular train, as were the other holiday specials.

Date: 11/19/22 13:48
Author: Passfanatic

Don't get your hopes up of any commuter rail sets running on Amtrak holiday extras this year. Amtrak is still going through a staffing shortage. In fact, if I was an Amtrak traveler, I would rather pay a ticket to ride on Amtrak equipment rather than MARC or NJT. The NJT Arrow IIIs which ran on Amtrak Holiday Extras in the past aren't designed for transporting people more than 60 miles. In fact, the Arrow IIIs will likely never turn a wheel ever again on a revenue Amtrak Holiday Extra as their retirement is now probably two years away. The MARC Sumitomo Cars might be a little more comfortable than the Arrow IIIs but nobody wants to ride in them from DC to Philly or beyond. I've ridden in MARC Sumitomo Cars plenty of times and the furthest I have ridden in them is to Frederick, MD from DC. On the Springfield Line, there have been CDOT Mafersa cars that have protected the Amtrak 400 Series Shuttle trains not just around Thanksgiving. I remember on the first day of Ctrail Hartford Line operations, there was a Mafersa Set covering an Amtrak run.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds