Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Passenger Trains > A Piece Of The Southern Pacific Endures Along Caltrain's Route

Date: 03/15/23 10:47
A Piece Of The Southern Pacific Endures Along Caltrain's Route
Author: walstib

A Southern Pacific-era passenger shelter stands trackside at San Jose's College Park station, as northbound Caltrain 307 stops to entrain a single passenger.

Located nest to Bellarmine College Prep, the College Park stop sees four trains each weekday. One northbound, and one southbound call in the morning; and one in each direction in the afternoon.

Annual tuition at the school is $24,890, according to the Bellarmine website.

Date: 03/15/23 22:48
Re: A Piece Of The Southern Pacific Endures Along Caltrain's Rout
Author: nickgeorge25

Back when I went to school here (2006-2010), we had about 80-100 students that took the train daily.  Go Bells!

Date: 03/15/23 23:03
Author: stevef

Back when I went there in the 1970's there were even more kids on the train.  They were not a favorite of the crew.  Some would hide between the seats as to not pay a fare 

I recall the day when one kid for fun pulled the emergency brake on the car while they were running full speed.  The Southern Pacific then called the Principal at the school and gave him a tongue lashing and threatened to discontinue stopping the trains at College Park for safety reasons. 

The embarrassed Principal was not used to being dressed down like that. He then screamed at everyone at the school for at least 10 minutes telling us what he would do if he ever caught the &%*& kid who was the culprit. My understanding was that no one ever fessed up and no one was ever caught. I don't believe that it happened again and the trains still stop there to this day.

Date: 03/15/23 23:47
Author: milepost20

In chapter one of Jack London's "Call Of The Wild" Buck--who was described as living 
on an estate in the Santa Clara Valley--is "dognapped" and brought in a crate to San
Jose's College Park station where he begins his long journey to Alaska.

London frequently used the station to visit friends in San Jose when he lived in Oakland.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds