Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Passenger Trains > What happened to Acela Express, Regional, and Commuter

Date: 02/17/05 20:02
What happened to Acela Express, Regional, and Commuter
Author: PSurfliner

I live on the West Coast and I remember seeing on some Acela page a while ago that there would be three Acela services (Acela Express, Acela Regional, and Acela Commuter). I know that the Acela Express is aroundon the Northeast Cooridor, but what happened to Amtrak's plans for the Regional Commuter?

Psurfliner

Date: 02/17/05 20:47
Re: What happened to Acela Express, Regional, and Commu
Author: tmurray

The 'Acela' brand created confusion with the traveling public. Acela Regional trains have since become just Regional trains; Acela Commuter trains (formerly and presently) known as Clocker trains are going to be (if they aren't already) operated by NJT. The Acela brand was dropped for all but the Express, thankfully.

Date: 02/17/05 22:25
Author: ST214

It was changed mostly because everyone was trying to board Acela EX with Acela REG and Acela COMM tickets.

Date: 02/17/05 23:26
Author: ChS7-321

tmurray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 'Acela' brand created confusion with the
> traveling public. Acela Regional trains have
> since become just Regional trains; Acela Commuter
> trains (formerly and presently) known as Clocker
> trains are going to be (if they aren't already)
> operated by NJT.

All Clocker trains are still operated by Amtrak. The NJT takeover will occur in 2006.

Currently the trains have poor ridership south of Trenton, and that is due primarily to insane Amtrak NEC fares (PHL-NYC is about $54 one-way vs about $15-16 via SEPTA and NJT with a change at Trenton).

Hopefully, NJT will be foresighted enough to leave the trains NYC-PHL, but institute their own fare structure.....

Date: 02/18/05 12:57
Author: JAChooChoo

tmurray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 'Acela' brand created confusion with the
> traveling public.

LOL I remember a non-railfan friend of mine in New Haven, early on, asking me if I knew that "Amtrak was changing its name to ADELLA"?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.028 seconds