Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Passenger Trains > figuring out LA

Date: 06/10/05 12:17
figuring out LA
Author: symph1

I don't know the LA area very well, and I'm trying to figure it out. The threads about re-routing 1 & 2 by way of Fullerton brought on these questions.

I have the Metrolink system map open on another screen. (http://www.metrolinktrains.com/?play_at=map)

So 3 & 4 take the route of the 91 line and then continue north, right? Do 1 & 2 take the same route as the San Bernadino Line or the Riverside Line?

That means that 3 & 4, which end up far north of 1 & 2, start out on a more southerly routing. Crazy.

The 91 line must be ex-AT&SF. I assume one of the other two lines mentioned is ex-UP, the other ex-SP. Which is which? And AT&SF used to have another route which went north of all these?

And finally, seriously, just why can't they re-route 1 & 2 onto the Fullerton line? Doesn't it makes sense to consolidate all Amtrak trains in the LA area through the same stations anyway?

Date: 06/10/05 13:12
Re: figuring out LA
Author: rms492

Yes, the "91 Line" is BNSF's main and only outing from Los Angeles. That is BNSF's main line, a very nice double-tracked (at least) rail line with LOTS of train traffic.

Metrolink's Riverside Line uses UP's LOS ANGELES line.
Metrolink's San Bernardino Line uses it's own tracks.
The Sunset Limited uses UP's ALHAMBRA line.

The northern line you are talking about was Santa Fe's Pasadena Line, which was closed in 1994. Only the portion from Arcadia to Claremont remains. From Claremont, it joins the Metrolink San Bernardino Line, which was the original Santa Fe line as well. (Confusing, I know).

The idea is to have 1 and 2 use the BNSF line to Colton Crossing, and then from there it would turn east and continue on the UP Yuma line. (East of Colton, the ALHAMBRA line is called the YUMA line). It has happened before due to detours when the ALHAMBRA line once got washed out near Fontana. The Sunset used the BNSF line.

Hopefully I have not confused you enough already. I had to go a GIS project showing all the major rail lines out of Los Angeles for school.

Date: 06/10/05 13:14
Author: rms492

Forgot one thing:

Yes, #3 and #4 take the 91 line.

Date: 06/10/05 13:16
Author: Mudrock

The Sunset takes the former SP Sunset route that doesn't host Metrolink trains. It goes LAUPT to Pomona either via the Metrolink line down Interstate 10 or via San Gabriel, then Ontario
and by the north side of the West Colton Yard. It crosses the BNSF/UP {Inland Empire/Orange County
Metrolink line there also} at Colton. It heads east through San Timiteo Canyon to Palm Springs.

I hope this clears it up for you.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds