Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Railfan Trip Reports > Rainy Delmarva Sightings

Date: 08/22/07 16:47
Rainy Delmarva Sightings
Author: Gravelyfan

While on a family trip to the Eastern Shore of MD/DE this past weekend, I made a quick Sunday run over to the NS terminal at Harrington, DE to see what was around. Weather was pretty miserable, but my son and daughter lucked into a 3 train “rush” between 11 am and 12 noon.

We saw the H42 (local to Indian River Secondary) putting his train together at the south end of the yard with NS SD40-2 (3364 ex CR 6418) and GP40-2 (3029, ex CR 3328) and about 20 cars including some reefers. After doing a brake test he backed up through the yard, crossed over and headed south just after 11:00.

As we observed this activity near the station and tower, we saw two headlights off to the north.

The H61 came down first with SD40-2 3365 (Ex CR 6419), GP38-2 5301 (Ex PC 8113) and GP38-2 5309 (Ex PC 8126) and a fairly long train came past the station and picked up paperwork. This is the train that transfers cars from Harrington down to Seaford and Delmar, essentially the “lifeline” for the three NS locals and two shortlines down that way.

Right on his tail was the inbound road train (12G) with a trio of GE Dash 9’s NS9132 , NS9079 and NS8858, passing the station around 11:40. I’m guessing this train had been recrewed by a Harrington crew by this point.

There was also another 3 unit set of modern GE power down in the “pit”.

A neat little Sunday "rush" at Harrington in the rain.

Date: 08/24/07 06:59
Re: Rainy Delmarva Sightings
Author: dcorreia

H61 came from the north? Was it switching the north end of the yard? I though that normally H61 comes from the sound and only work the south end of the yard.

Dvid Correia

Date: 08/24/07 10:16
Re: Rainy Delmarva Sightings
Author: Gravelyfan

I was wondering if perhaps they pulled a block of cars off of the inbound road train up at the north edn? If we had been there earlier I might have heard more on the radio to explain this.

dcorreia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> H61 came from the north? Was it switching the
> north end of the yard? I though that normally H61
> comes from the sound and only work the south end
> of the yard.
>
> Dvid Correia

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds