Home Open Account Help 313 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Harzer Schmalspurbahnen (HSB)

Date: 08/05/07 09:57
Harzer Schmalspurbahnen (HSB)
Author: GPutz

It's not exactly Chama, NM; but is it "the greatest among the smallest," as the sign boasts? If you like steam, coal smoke and lots of trains, Wernigerode, Germany is for you. There's more at:

http://members.trainorders.com/gputz

Gerry

Date: 08/05/07 19:48
Re: Harzer Schmalspurbahnen (HSB)
Author: jbwest

Enjoyed your pix of the HSB. I was surprised by all the new construction and grade seperations at Wernigerode. Guess I need to get back there.

My first visit was around 1995 with a British group (I was working in London). The Wall had not been gone all that long, and Wernigerode and the towns and roads along the HSB still were pretty much old East Germany. The industrial parts of Wernidgerode were really part of the East German rustbelt. And the roads were terrible. Even the beer was terrible.

I was a frequent visitor until about 2000 when I retired, and it was interesting watching the area transform itself (as virtually all of the former East Germany has). I've often joked I'd be a rich man if I had the paint concession for the area.

Your pictures are a dramatic indication the pace of change has increased if anything. I had better get back before the place is unrecognizeable. Thanks.

JBW

Date: 08/06/07 05:04

jb, the highway and railway reconstruction is amazing here. It appears that they intend to make this an even bigger international tourist destination (there are already many Germans who visit the area), with access by Deutsche Bahn. The DB line from Ilsenburg to Wernigerode is getting new sub-grade, ballast, concrete ties and CWR. The line between Wernigerode and Halberstadt has already been rebuilt. The stations at Ilsenburg and Halberstadt are also being renovated. The station at Wernigerode has already been done.

The only down-side is that in rebuilding the HSB itself with CWR and concrete and steel ties, it has probably (I never got to see it before) lost a lot of its charm. There are no more semaphore signals, except for the one in front of the Wernigerode station. It's now built for volume and speed. But, it's still steam powered.

And, the beer and food are now very good.

Gerry

Date: 08/06/07 11:51
Author: jbwest

Does your comment about modernization extend to the rural stations, or just Wernigerode?

John

Date: 08/06/07 16:42

jb, the Ilsenburg and Halberstadt stations are being rebuilt. As you probably know, there are many, many rural stations, most with manned towers that probably see 20 to 30 DMUs, and 1 or 2 local freights pass by each day. I didn't see any signs that they were being rebuilt. Gerry

Date: 08/11/07 07:02
Author: BillL

No fair Gerry. I just finished going through the Wolsztyn night shots and you get me wound up to go through the HSB stuff I shot 2 weeks before you as I'm "Jonesing" for them now. We had a car and were there 3 days so I was able to get a lot of different locations.

Really good stuff on the website, too.

Bill Larduskey, the other Marylander in the former East Germany during July.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds