Home Open Account Help 316 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Zimbabwe After Dark

Date: 11/24/12 13:31
Zimbabwe After Dark
Author: PERichardson

Back when National Rys of Zimbabwe stabled 100 Garratts, a great place to wander around at night was Thomson Jct, in Hwange, located about 100 miles south of Victoria Falls. After dinner and a few beers at the nearby Baobob Hotel, it was down the hill to the shed at TJ. Here are a few results of such adventures.

1. 15 class 4-6-4+4-6-4 423 and 380 on shed. 7/6/90

2. 15 class 407 ready to go. 7/6/90

3. 20 class 4-8-2+2-8-4 745 getting its fire cleaned. 7/20/84

Date: 11/24/12 13:35
Re: Zimbabwe After Dark

4. The down (southbound) Victoria Falls to Bulawayo passenger stops at Thomson Jct on a cold 7/20/84. The Garratt is a 15 class 4-6-4+4-6-4 No. 424.

5. Near TJ was the Wankie Colliery coal mine where all trains were steam hauled. Here are 4-8-2s No. 7 and No. 1 at their shed. 6/20/84 Sorry the bottom is cut off...scanner kept doing it for some reason I have yet to figure out.

6. Stuffed and mounted at the entry to the colliery is former S.African Rys. 4-6-2 No. 5. 6/9/90

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/12 15:35 by masterphots.

Date: 11/24/12 14:52
Author: oldhound

Really appreciate you sharing these. We were just over there earlier this year and some of the folks that have been there numerous times during the last 20 years mentioned how much it has changed. Even at that I guess we're still blessed that it exists at all. Anyway, I would love to see some more posted if you're inclined.

Also, I have a Zimbabwe Gallery on the website if you haven't been there in awhile and are curious.

Cheers,
Karl
www.steamengines.ca

PS: it seems that the Baobab Hotel doesn't see a lot of visitors these days. A few of us went up there for a drink and it seemed nice enough, and it must have been a great place to watch some of the 20 class come down the line.

Date: 11/24/12 15:33

"it seems that the Baobab Hotel doesn't see a lot of visitors these days. A few of us went up there for a drink and it seemed nice enough, and it must have been a great place to watch some of the 20 class come down the line."

One of my fondest memories of steam bashing was sitting on the Baobob's terrace after dinner, having a drink with friends and listening to a Garratt below working up the grade. Good to hear the place still exists in 2012.

Date: 11/24/12 20:13

Yeah, still there, and you can't get a better view with $1/beer. You were very fortunate: I would have loved to have seen & heard the engines on that section, that must have been paradise.

I never asked, but they seem willing to run the engines on other sections nearby, maybe someday they can run a charter on that section of the line, won't be a 20 class, but even a 16 would be great.

Cheers,
Karl

Date: 11/25/12 02:39
Author: Milepost_130

Thanks for posting these images. They certainly bring back fond memories.

Date: 11/25/12 08:27
Author: YG

Always great to see images like these.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 11/25/12 18:53
Author: YukonYeti

Really great photos Mr.Al...

Yukon Yeti

Date: 11/26/12 13:51
Author: bakersfielddave

there isd a very nice book out on thes zimbabwe steam engines but i cant seem to recall the name right now its worth a look if you find it

Date: 11/26/12 14:09

Hello Dave, thanks for the post.

When I was at Bulawayo a fellow came over from the museum with some books and I ended up buying one off of him, it is called, "The Smoke that Thunders" by A.E. Durrant. ISBN- 1-77901-134-2

Not sure if this is the book you are referring to or not, but it is a great book and I would recommend it to anyone interested in steam (Garratts and all other types that were used) from this part of the world.

All the best,
Karl

Date: 11/26/12 16:36
Author: 55002

Great photos, and happy memories for me. In the 1980s I lived a 100yds from the Baobab Hotel for 3 years. Loved listening to the garratts and the DE10s climbing in the evening with their coal trains. Chris UK.

Date: 11/27/12 12:28

55002 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos, and happy memories for me. In the
> 1980s I lived a 100yds from the Baobab Hotel for 3
> years. Loved listening to the garratts and the
> DE10s climbing in the evening with their coal
> trains. Chris UK.

Remember Margaret, RIP, who ran the place? When coming up from S.A. with Dusty we'd bring a few bottles of liquer for her in the boot. At the border, a quick inspection by Zim customs, one less bottle and we were on our way. Great times for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/12 16:52 by masterphots.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0786 seconds