Home Open Account Help 305 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Australian Movie: "Last Cab to Darwin"

Date: 08/14/15 02:50
Australian Movie: "Last Cab to Darwin"
Author: mukinduri

The movie "Last Cab to Darwin" is playing in Australia cinemas at the moment. The movie director must be a a railfan. There are lots of beautiful location shots of central Australia where trains frequently are part of the background an atmosphere. One shot which sticks in my memory is where a train was very much part of the scene.

Rex, the movie's main character, is driving his taxi as fast as he can to get to his girlfriend 2000 miles away. Rex's mind is thinking of nothing else. The scene is a wide angle shot of the taxi appearing in the distance, driving towards a railway crossing marked only by crossbucks; no lights or barriers . On the right we see a heavy freight train pulled by three locomotives doing about 40 mph. We watch as the taxi beats the train to the crossing by inches and continues on its way. Why the scene sticks in my mind is that as far as I can tell the scene is genuine with no special effects, no b/s drama of will he or won't he make it. This scene was impressive. The message that Rex is in a hurry to see his girlfriend is beautifully conveyed.

I was impressed too that the railway operator agreed (presumably) for the stunt to be shot. Sometimes these things can go wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/15 15:49 by mukinduri.

Date: 08/15/15 14:39
Re: Australian Movie: "Last Cab to Darwin"
Author: rschonfelder

That scene looks like it was filmed in the Hunter Valley though.  They use an 82 class from my recollection.  I haven't seen the movie yet but have seen that shot in the commercial.

I understood that the movie touches on more than a love story.  It touches on some serious issues because the character is diagnosed with terminal Cancer and is driving his own Taxi to Darwin where euthanasia is legal.  Along the way he discovers the beautiful side of the Territory.  Looks like another very good Aussie movie.

Rick

Date: 08/18/15 17:35
Re: Australian Movie: "Last Cab to Darwin"
Author: AussieGWAdriver

The scene with the coal train was filmed on the Leigh Creek line in South Australia. The coal train uses two or three 82's with the odd DL thrown into the mix when one of the 82's is down for maintenance.

Justin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2902 seconds