Home Open Account Help 295 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Hotel Ferrocarril

Date: 08/26/15 16:01
Hotel Ferrocarril
Author: jbwest

The Hotel Ferrocarril in Zacapa, Guatemala on the former International Railways of Central America (later nationalized as Ferrocarriles de Guatemala) was something of a legend among railfans. Trains magazine described staying at the Ferrocarril as "like spending the night in a yard office". It was part of the station complex and overlooked the yard and roundhouse, which in days of yore were busy places with plenty of steam activity. Sometimes it was a bit hard to sleep. I stayed there several times in the 1970's and have put together a small Flickr album about the place. Like so many things I wish I had taken more pictures of things like the mahogany bar, the "rustic" rooms, and so on.  One of those memories I would love to be able to relive.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124319201@N04/albums/72157657244095590

JBWX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/15 16:13 by jbwest.

Date: 08/26/15 18:11
Re: Hotel Ferrocarril
Author: jonjonjonjon

Wow! Fantastic stuff!

Date: 08/26/15 21:03
Author: E25

'Almost as good as bunking down at the old "Hotel de la Norden" on Donner in the middle of a winter snowstorm... LOL

-- Greg

Date: 08/26/15 22:14
Author: africansteam

Given the number of bullet holes in the woodwork in the baroom walsstheI always wonded if the mirror behind the bar was original or a replacement!

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 08/26/15 23:15
Park Hotel SLO
Author: jbwest

The Hotel Ferrocarril reminded me a bit of the old Park Hotel in SLO where I flopped while in engine serivce on the Espee, especially the light bulb hanging from a dark high ceiling that you couldn't see in the gloom.

JBWX

Date: 08/26/15 23:53
Re: Park Hotel SLO
Author: aronco

Sometime in the late 70's, three hardy railfans rode the Sonora-Baja California passenger train from Mexicali, BC to Benjamin Hill Sonora, the junction with the Nogales to Mazatlan line.  I volunteered to buy the tickets for the overnite return trip using my limited Spanish.
"Yo quiero un alcoba y un camarone en tren numero 1 Benjamin Hill y Mexicali, por favor."   one bedroom and one roomette
"No alcobas en tren numero 1."            No bedrooms
"Quiero tres camarones, por favor"  Three roomettes please
"No camarones en tren numero 1"         No roomettes - this is looking grim!
"Sections?"
"No sections, senor"
"No coaches dormitorios?"   No sleepers!
"No - tren numero uno is primario correo y expresso"          Train 1 is mainly for mail and express.
"Oh!  Three coach seats, please"
"Is there a hotel in Benjamin Hill?"
"Oh si!  Hotel Ferrocarril - Es mucho sanitario!!"
We rode coach across the cold gran desierto of Mexico, finding out why Mexicans who rides trains carry blankets.  Not only are there no sleepers, there is no
steam heat either!!

Norm

'

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds