Home Open Account Help 390 users online

International Railroad Discussion > ACe Demonstrators going back to EMD (Brazil)

Date: 05/11/17 11:39
ACe Demonstrators going back to EMD (Brazil)
Author: pedrop

Today I took some pics of the two SD70ACe Demonstrators on way back to EMD. The units were testing on MRS and Rumo (broad gauge). Now they will receive VLI colors and be sent to FNS railroad by truck. VLI bought the three ACe Demonstrators. Both MRS and Rumo reproved them on the tests. It's a hard time to EMD here. It's difficult to compete with the GE AC44i's.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/17 11:40 by pedrop.

Date: 05/11/17 21:59
Re: ACe Demonstrators going back to EMD (Brazil)
Author: YukonYeti

Pedro.."reproved"?

Obrigado

Date: 05/12/17 09:13

Hi Deane, yes they were reproved in the tests by mrs. They didn't work well in the "tunneland".

YukonYeti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pedro.."reproved"?
>
> Obrigado

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 05/12/17 19:32
Author: tomstp

Did they hot in the tunnels?

Date: 05/13/17 06:55

Yes, they did and lost traction. MRS has 85 tunnels at mainline, some big with 3 to 9 km long. So they didn't work well there.

tomstp Wrote:
> Did they hot in the tunnels?

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,

Date: 05/13/17 11:56
Author: airbrakegeezer

YukonYeti Wrote:
> Pedro.."reproved"?
>
> Obrigado

Hello, YY: I think a little explanation, using my knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese, may help here, even though you have already figured out what Pedro is talking about.

What's happening is that Pedro is using the literal English translation of "reprobado"; both this word and the English "reproved" are derived from the same Latin word (which I don't remember right now -- blame old age!). The problem is that meanings can change slightly over time. We don't use "reproved" very much, and it usually means that a device has been re-tested or re-arranged, and may now be satisfactory; however, in Spanish, Portuguese (and probably most other Romance languages), "reprobado" means that the device/machine/object in question has been summarily REJECTED, and is not acceptable to the user!

Hope this helps. And Pedro, don't worry about misunderstandings -- your English is undoubtedly better than my Portuguese; my Brazilian friends always told me that I sounded like an Italian when I attempted to speak Portuguese, even though I am a native Spanish speaker (born in Argentina)!

Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

Date: 05/13/17 19:42
Author: tomstp

Pedro speaks two languages: I only speak one, so I am not one to criticize Pedro.

Date: 05/14/17 14:37

I think Roger Lewis explained very well where I did my mistake. I was writing in english but my brain was thinking in portuguese. It is the biggest problem to everybody who study different languages.

Pedro

airbrakegeezer Wrote:

> Hello in Spanish,
> Portuguese (and probably most other Romance
> languages), "reprobado" means that the
> device/machine/object in question has been
> summarily REJECTED, and is not acceptable to the
> user!
>
> Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds