Home Open Account Help 297 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Jamaica Bauxite Train at 1879 Old Harbour depot

Date: 01/23/20 15:26
Jamaica Bauxite Train at 1879 Old Harbour depot
Author: NS270

The Jamaican Railway Corporation does not run any regular trains, but employs watchmen to protect crossings along the portion of right of way which is still heavily used by the West Indies Alumina Company. The Bauxite trains as they are commonly called, come south from the mine at Ewarton several times a day with loads of bauxite (aluminum) for export and empty tank cars which are loaded with fuel oil and caustic soda which are taken back North to the mine from Port Esquivel. There are even a few riveted tank cars in the mix! The power consists of 1970s MLW export DL532Bs which are also known as RS8s. The locomotives also include DL532B locomotives from a South Korean Railway Alco order in 1966 which were later repowered with EMD prime movers and rebuilt at NRE in Dixmoor IL. Here one of the former South Korean rebuilds passes the 1879 Georgian style depot at Old Harbour with bauxite loads. The station name sign is faintly visible and how about the ancient coconut tree to boot? My wife lives in Jamaica and I will have some more good stuff to follow soon with a better run down of the operations. Enjoy!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/20 15:42 by NS270.

Date: 01/23/20 15:29
Re: Jamaica Beauxite Train at 1879 Old Harbour depot
Author: exhaustED

Very interesting shots. It's called bauxite.

Date: 01/23/20 15:40

Jamaican Railway Corporations first MLW DL532B #111 at Spanish Town Railway yard. It is interesting to see the classic handrail arrangement on this unit vs. the units in service for WINDALCo. This unit as well as #114 were painted up for demonstration passenger runs several years ago in an attempt to someday return passenger rail to the island. The unit is still used on charter passenger runs as well as work service and was paired up to a flat car with ballast on this particular day.

Date: 01/23/20 15:45
Author: utwazoo

Is the bauxite ore railroad (formerly Kaiser Bauxite) at Discovery Bay still in operation?.  Fifty years ago they had an x-SP BLH AS616 and a pair of SD38s. 

Date: 01/23/20 15:47

One of the AlCo powered units. Not sure if this was a Korean Railways or JRC unit.

Date: 01/23/20 15:57
Author: pedrop

It looks a fantastic location for a historian railfan

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0325 seconds