Home Open Account Help 153 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Chilean Adventure story in Railfan

Date: 03/26/20 08:23
Chilean Adventure story in Railfan
Author: yooperfan

The April issue of Railfan contains an article by Robert W. Scott picturing long trains passing through the otherworldly mountains and plateaus of the bone dry Atacama Desert in Chile. Not your ordinary railfanning trek. To provide a little more history of this fascinating meter gauge rail line, per my January 1981 Thomas Cook Overseas Timetable (the bible for armchair rail travelers) one could then once a week ride a through train with sleeper and dining service between Antofagasta, Chile and La Paz, Bolivia via Ollague. 36 hours for the 700 mile trip, no on time guarantees. Interestingly, the map in the Timetable identifies the Chilean portion of the route as electrified but there's no sign of that in the article's photos. 

Date: 03/26/20 10:21
Re: Chilean Adventure story in Railfan
Author: masterphots

Because it was never electrified.  Nothing on FCAB was ever electric.  As late as 2006,  one could ride in a ratty coach at the end of a daily freight from La Paz or thereabouts to Calama, Chile.  A true slog in often-freezing high altitude conditions.  BYOB  (maybe food too)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/20 06:09 by masterphots.

Date: 03/26/20 10:53
Author: stevelv

Good article but very poor accompanying map.  Could have provided a better map showing a lot more of the locations he referred to in the article.

Date: 03/26/20 14:09
Author: masterphots

Guess I need to figure out how to get a copy to read what he wrote about Chile.

Date: 03/26/20 19:23
Author: retcsxcfm

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guess I need to figure out how to get a copy to
> read what he wrote about Chile.

He should had to see you first.
Uncle Joe

Date: 03/28/20 15:06
Author: zorz

When I took it it was more of "BYOBFWTP" - Bring Your Own Booze, Food, Water and Toilet Paper"

It was an adventure for sure.

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because it was never electrified.  Nothing on
> FCAB was ever electric.  As late as 2006,  one
> could ride in a ratty coach at the end of a daily
> freight from La Paz or thereabouts to Calama,
> Chile.  A true slog in often-freezing high
> altitude conditions.  BYOB  (maybe food too)

Date: 03/28/20 16:16
Author: yooperfan

In 1991 I rode the train to Esquel in Patagonia on a Trains Unlimited tour. It was BYOBWFTP and Wood for the wood stove. At every photo runby folks would grab whatever twigs and branches they could find to keep the coach warm. Some of us that couldn't squeeze into the cab of the steamer pulling us rode on the roofs of the coaches (favorite conversation topic: How far are we from that thru truss bridge?)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds