Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Railfan Technology > Epson V500 scanner problem -- line in images

Date: 03/23/10 07:32
Epson V500 scanner problem -- line in images
Author: baltimore

I just purchased an Epson V500 scanner and am scanning slides. I have scanned slides in all modes and in lower dpi's --- up to 600.
In all images there is a thin vertical line that is turquoise in color. It is about 1/4 of the way in from the right side.

I have seen this line in other people's images, particularly on ebay. Is there a way to keep this line from showing up, or is the scanner defective?

I haven't installed the adobe software that came with it yet and the images are going directly to "my pictures". Perhaps this is part of the problem?

I've used a Canon scanner in the past and never had this problem.

TIA,

Baltimore

UPDATE: I just got off the phone after a long conversation with customer service. The problem has been diagnosed as a hardware issue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/10 11:08 by baltimore.

Date: 03/23/10 08:48
Re: Epson V500 scanner problem -- line in images
Author: KimHeusel

I have a V500 scanner and have been extremely pleased with the results I have seen after scanning slides. I have not noticed a problem like the one you described. I doubt that the Adobe software makes any difference. I didn't download the software that came with mine, but I already had Photoshop CS on my computer. Depending on what others might have experienced and assuming that you checked to make sure there was nothing on the scanning surface, I would say there is something wrong with the scanner. If you just purchased it maybe you can return it for another one. Hopefully, others with more experience can provide some suggestions.

Good Luck

Date: 03/23/10 09:59
Author: trainjunkie

Could be a lot of things causing this including a manufacturing defect, dust on the sensor, or a improper software setting. Have you looked at one of the high resolution images at 100%? This is when one pixel on your screen is equal to one pixel in the image. You need to look at it at 100% to see if there really is a line in the image and if so, what it actually looks like which can help you determine the source of the problem.

Date: 03/23/10 10:17

I'm beginning to think the scanner is defective. I've scanned all the way up to 4800 dpi in various sizes and the line is still there. The line is always in the same place. I can scan 4 slides at once, each with a different location on the scanner glass and the same line always shows up in the same place.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Baltimore

Date: 03/23/10 11:09

UPDATE: I just got off the phone after a long conversation with customer service. The problem has been diagnosed as a hardware issue.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds