Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Railfan Technology > Seizing my photos!

Date: 04/05/10 17:33
Seizing my photos!
Author: Shayno6

Ok here I go. I have a whole lot of photos that are too big and I need to learn how to seize them and what seize they should be to up load to TO. I've bought elements photo shop 8 and I've been looking threw the tutorials to see what part of the program I have to learn and use. I'd like to know what seize should the digital pictures be and what seize are videos? Like I said I've looked at the program and I've been listening, looking at the video tutorials but I'd like to know what to look at so I can get started on seizing them and putting something on To. I've come home from Berea Tower with some nice pictures but they are too big to up load. I've been told to take them in RAW and then seize them into a jpeg but I don't know how. Ive got the program now maybe somebody can tell me a quick way to get started. Thanks for the help. I feel like the new kid on the block. Shayno6!

Roger L. Routzon
Medina, OH

Date: 04/05/10 17:41
Re: Seizing my photos!
Author: trainjunkie

Do you mean SIZE the photos? If you do a search on this forum for "seize" you won't find much. A search for "size" or "sizing" should yield some useful results.

I don't use PS Elements so I can't give you a tutorial but the TO guidelines on preparing images for the site are here under "How to Post an Image":

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/guidelines.php

A search through this forum (Railfan Technology) should yield everything you need to know to do this using PSE, including using the Save for Web feature.

Date: 04/05/10 20:32
Author: railstiesballast

Here is a method taught in a "Computers at Sea" class.
1. Open the file.
2. Click on Image, then "resize"
3. Click on the box "resample image" and then select these parameters: Size 6" wide and resolution 120 bits per inch.
4. Go to "File" and "save as", I use the same file name and add an "EM" on the end (for e-mail). Save as a "medium" size file.

This give me a 300-400 kb size file that works well for e-mails.

There are automatic systems to do this but you lose control, this is under your control all the way.

Date: 04/05/10 21:02
Author: RustyRayls

OK here you go!

Click on the "File" menu --> scroll down to "Save for web" and click on it.

If you get a pop-up window that says that the photo is too large for "Save for web" tell it to proceed anyway.

When the window opens up give it time for the photo to load up --> Make sure the "constrain proportions" box is checked and change the width to 900 pixels (for horizontal images) or about 550 pixels (for verticle images) --> click on "Apply"

Now look at the file size on the bottom of the righthand image --> click on the drop-down arrow on the quality setting and move the "Quality" slider until the file size at the bottom of the righthand image reads just under 400 kb.

Now click on "OK" at the top right corner of the window and navigate to the folder where you want to save the resized image. I just created a "TOdotCom" folder that I use for all of the photos that I post here.

Yes, it's really that simple!!!

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 04/06/10 10:08
Author: chico

search "seizing photos" and you will get a bunch of threads on an entirely different subject.

chico
http://www.heartlandrails.com

Date: 04/06/10 10:25
Author: Frisco1522

Carpe' Diem

Date: 04/06/10 18:54
Author: Shayno6

Thanks Gentlemen. I've printed all of it and now it's time for me to read and study and try. Thanks again.Shayno6!!

Roger L. Routzon
Medina, OH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds