Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Railfan Technology > Anyone still use slide projectors?

Date: 07/23/11 14:08
Anyone still use slide projectors?
Author: Frisco1522

I've been busy cleaning out slide trays and scanning lots of old family and RR slides. I don't intend to put these back in the trays which prompts the question of whether or not to try and sell the stuff. I have a Sawyer's 550 with about 4 spare bulbs and a buttload of round 100 slide trays, plus some rectangular ones. Is this stuff worth trying to sell? I need the space.

Date: 07/23/11 15:42
Re: Anyone still use slide projectors?
Author: trainjunkie

I had a bunch of those Sawyer/GAF carousel trays a few years ago and researched it then and they seemed to be a dime a dozen on eBay and Craigslist. So I just tossed mine into the dumpster. Not worth my time.

Date: 07/23/11 15:44

That's what I was afraid of.

Date: 07/23/11 16:19
Author: ACR_Ted

About the only slide trays and projectors that are still in demand (somewhat anyways) are the Kodak carousel trays and autofocus projectors. Friends of mine are still buying the 140 slide trays when they can be found in good shape.

Ted

Date: 07/23/11 19:05
Author: shannon

I have a Kodak projector from the 1990s with auto focus. I also found several trays to fit it and I still have all my slides in the trays to keep them clean. And yes the projector still works like new.

Date: 07/23/11 20:16
Author: DoctorThunder

As said above, it it isn't an autofocus Kodak it's worthless. Kodak 4400's are especially sought after.

Date: 07/24/11 09:29
Author: johnw

When I decided by 2 slide projectors (a Sawyer's and a GAF) and numerous bulky carousels were taking up too much space in my closet I sold them both very quickly on Craigslist. I divided the (empty) carousels and made 2 package deals. It's been a couple of years ago so I don't remember what I got for them but it wasn't that much. If nothing else I'd offer the carousel trays free on Craigslist rather than throw them in the dumpster.

Date: 07/24/11 11:06

I think I'll try Craiglist since I have something else to sell on there. Something is better than nothing isn't it? I have a hard time throwing anything away (as my wife will testify)so maybe I'll get enough to take her out to supper. Thanks.

Date: 07/24/11 19:42
Author: shannon

Hummmm, Checked my slide set up and mine is a 4400. Think I will keep it for a while.

Date: 07/24/11 21:12
Author: Thumper

I do however, not the Kodak 4400 series.

Two physically heavy Elmo units far better than
the Kodak machines and they take the Kodak or
similar brands of glass.

The other one is an EK3 in good condition.

Also a 750H which I use with a stack loader
to preview slides processed by the lab,
in good times a roll and a bit a week;
discard rate is about 10 percent.

My Nikon F100 just keeps going. If and when
it dies have another one, new in a box,
purchased just before the model was discontinued.

As I don't post my images to the web, my D90
and or my cheap in price Canon point and shoot
satisfy the need for the non-critical digital
images

Date: 07/25/11 14:30
Author: dirkb

MagnumForce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As said above, it it isn't an autofocus Kodak it's
> worthless. Kodak 4400's are especially sought
> after.

i've got a bunch of the grey commerical/institutional ektagraphic AF machines. maybe i'll have to put them on craigslist...

Date: 07/25/11 16:09
Author: seod

I bought a top of the line Ektagraphic with lens,stack loader,remote and a 10 meter extension cord for the remote and it cost more to ship than to buy. If I remember correctly I got it with shipping for about $60 more or less. So even the Kodak's are not going for much.

A Friend gave me a Sears (sawyer type projector) and about 15 trays. They have so little value it is hardly worth trying to sell it.

Scott O'Dell

Date: 07/25/11 16:20

Just looked on ebay and a Sawyer 550 without power cord didn't sell for the $4.95 opening bid. Guess that answers my question.

Date: 07/25/11 17:47
Author: railstiesballast

Maybe there is a tiny market for the projector bulbs? I have a couple of new ones.

Date: 07/25/11 22:36
Author: johnw

The nice thing about Craigslist is it's FREE! You can also start on the high side and edit your ad with a reduced price in a couple of days if it doesn't sell. You're also dealing with local people so they don't have to pay shipping charges which can make it more appealing to buy from you rather than eBay dealers. I've sold almost everything I've advertised on Craigslist although I always kept the prices low enough to make my items for sale a good deal. The very few things I didn't sell I gave away for free on a subsequent ad.

Date: 07/27/11 09:24
Author: SandPatch1

Hey Frisco,
Mine for .99 cents didnt sell either lol
makes a great boat anchor.

Dave j

Date: 07/27/11 13:47

Wow, thanks for the pep talk 8~(

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0553 seconds