Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Railfan Technology > Cat Hair Discovery With Dust Removal in Scanning

Date: 05/30/14 21:13
Cat Hair Discovery With Dust Removal in Scanning
Author: tq-07fan

I spotted a cat hair on the first image after scanning. After removing the cat hair I rescanned the slide but clicked the boxes for dust removal and grain reduction. I noticed that certain details were missing. Third image is without the dustoff or grain reduction. Notice that there are certain details of the catenary that were lost in the previous image but show up in this and the first one. So is it better to not use the dust removal when scanning?

Jim

Date: 05/31/14 00:50
Re: Cat Hair Discovery With Dust Removal in Scanning
Author: trainjunkie

It depends on the film base and the infrared technology your scanner supports. Some work well, some don't. You'll find more on this topic with a search of this forum.

Date: 05/31/14 04:48
Author: robj

trainjunkie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It depends on the film base and the infrared
> technology your scanner supports. Some work well,
> some don't. You'll find more on this topic with a
> search of this forum.

Right a google of the subject will also help. I think there are setting as to the strength and there are two different methods.

I use a rocket blower and a loop to inspect the slide, leaving dust removal and digital ICE off. Sometimes I will reclean and rescan. Cleaning up a slide can be time consuming in photoshop esp when there are wires involved.

Bob

Date: 06/01/14 13:16
Author: SN711

I found that the Digital Ice program with my scanner also "ate" off some of the detail on my slides as well.

Gary

Date: 06/04/14 21:46
Author: MartyBernard

Thereis dirt up in the catenary in all threepictures thatco u ld be cloned out. After grain reduction you need to further sharpen t he scan.

Marty Bernard

Date: 08/20/14 15:55
Author: Evan_Werkema

tq-07fan Wrote:

> Notice that there are
> certain details of the catenary that were lost in
> the previous image but show up in this and the
> first one.

I'm squinting as hard as I can but I'm not seeing missing details between 2 and 3. Where in particular do you notice details disappearing?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds