Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Railfan Technology > Yaesu FT-270 Speaker Problem

Date: 09/04/16 18:02
Yaesu FT-270 Speaker Problem
Author: SN711

Need help with my Yaesu FT-270. I have had it a couple years and have figured out the basic functions. Yesterday, I was using the unit with earphones, probably for the first time. It worked/works fine with the earphone, but now the speaker does not work. No beep sound either when you turn it on. But you can hear that through the earphone now. During the day, I did drop the unit on the ground also.

So my question from you experts: Is the speaker now cut out because I plugged in the earphone and there is now something wrong inside the jack? (yes, I did unplug the earphone).

Or, is it more likely there is a problem with the speaker because I dropped it? It landed squarely on the bottom corner.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/04/16 18:32
Re: Yaesu FT-270 Speaker Problem
Author: sptno

I am guessing that it might be the speaker jack.  Maybe dirty contact. Try plugging and unplugging the earphone several times.
I don't know of any good contact cleaner these days.  Used to be able to get it at electronic stores.  But these have gone away.
You might get a can of 'air' used to blow out electronics and blow it in the jack.  Maybe turn the can upside down so some liquid comes out.  Might flush the contact.
I really don't think that the speaker is bad at this point.

Pat
WA5VRO
Austin, TX

Date: 09/04/16 19:06

Thanks.
I had already tried the plugging/unplugging a few times. Tried the air, but no change. I have had the watertight plug on the Jack all along, till I used it yesterday. My first inclination was that something is tricking the radio into thinking that the plug is still inserted.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/04/16 19:37
Author: radar

sptno Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am guessing that it might be the speaker jack. 
> Maybe dirty contact. Try plugging and unplugging
> the earphone several times.
> I don't know of any good contact cleaner these
> days.  Used to be able to get it at electronic
> stores.

Caig DeoxIT D5.  The stuff is magic in a spray can.

Date: 09/04/16 21:41
Author: wa4umr

I agree with Pat.  The problem is that there were two possible events that happened at the same time so it's hard to figure out which one is the culprit.  Generally, the speaker can take the jolt but there is the chance that it did jam or something did happen to it.  There used to be several good contact cleaners but not so much anymore.  You might be able to go to a Radio Shack (if you can find one in your area) and find a can of cleaner.  If you're in a larger community you might find an electronics supply shop.  They should have something.  

The problem today is that consumer items, epecially electronics, are generally considered throw aways when they break.  No one fixes anything and you can't hardly find tools or parts unless you fool with the stuff on a regular basis and know where to look for stuff.  A $5.00 can of contact cleaner is sure a lot cheaper than a new radio and unless you know how to fix it yourself or have a friend that can, you're going to pay a bunch to have it fixed.

John

Date: 09/05/16 11:52

Thanks,

I will probably just take it back to the Ham store where I bought it and see what they can do or recommend for me. I work less than 10 minutes away.

Gary

Date: 09/05/16 14:31
Author: NKP715

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Date: 09/05/16 16:09
Author: TCnR

I believe there are professional services to repair it (either your HAM dealer or perhaps a Yeasu service) and it would be the way to go. They do have a resale value and breaking something would compromise that. They don't cost a whole lot but they work great.

If you're interested there is a number of video clips on YouTube describing ways to open the case to do work inside.

Date: 09/06/16 22:42

Okay, for those of you interested in the outcome:

I went back to the Ham Radio Outlet today. In describing what happened the guy believes it is probably a short that could have been caused by either activity. It would have to be sent to Yaesu for repair. From experience he was certain that with shipping any repair would be in the $75-$100 range. A new radio is $140.

I bought the small shoulder mic so I can use that speaker on this radio. But because it won't be as loud as the old speaker, I broke down and bought a new radio also. With the two it will make it easier to carry one around while the other is in the car attached to the antenna.

But of course the new radio I bought won't charge. I'll have to take it back tomorrow.

The worst thing is that I no longer have the program on my computer. It was lost when I had to reset the computer. I have to redo the whole programming.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4673 seconds