Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Railfan Technology > Drone Etiquette Question

Date: 03/06/18 11:53
Drone Etiquette Question
Author: RFandPFan

Recently I was at the Folkston, GA train platform and was shooting video. A railfan with a drone was there taking photos. As a train approached, he hovered the drone literally 4 feet directly above my head. The buzzing from the drone sounded terrible on my video. I am not a big fan of drones, but I understand how railfans enjoy them and I certainly encourage anything that adds to enjoyment of our hobby. My question is, shouldn't there be some consideration for fellow railfans shooting video when deciding where to fly your drone?

I also noticed a similar situation a couple of years ago when there were a group of railfans shooting a steam excursion. We had lined up and agreed among ourselves to set up an impromptu photo line so we would not be in each others' shots. Literally seconds before the steam train arrived a young man came speeding up, jumped out of his car and set up his drone in front of us. He them proceeded to fly it fairly low, getting into everyones' shots. For those of us shooting video it also ruined our audio recording of the steam locomotive. Judging by the comments of some of the railfans that had set up and waited almost an hour for the train (it was delayed) there were some unhappy campers. I believe there might have been a discussion about which caliber firearm would be more effective in shooting down the drone (LOL).

I would hope that some (this is not meant towards more responsible drone users) would think twice as to how your drone could negatively affect fellow railfans. Thanks!

Date: 03/06/18 12:01
Re: Drone Etiquette Question
Author: march_hare

You definitely want a shotgun. (For the drone, that is).

What you describe is at the very least rude and inconsiderate, and I think flying within 4 feet of people is actually illegal. Unfortunately, so is shooting down the drone, or the operator.

Date: 03/06/18 12:41
Author: CCMF

Highly illegal. I would never take mine that close to anything. In fact you'd be hard pressed to see it where I normally would use it.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 03/06/18 12:57
Author: trainjunkie

Date: 03/06/18 13:10
Author: RFandPFan

trainjunkie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.wired.com/story/watch-anti-drone-weapo
> ns-test/

LOL! If I could get one of those hawks, they couldn't blame me!!!

Date: 03/06/18 13:24
Author: steamfan

Ballast and good aim... That response is from a drone user, who tries to play well. Unfortunately, not everyone has good photo line etiquette, whether it be a cell phone, drone, or other device.

John R -- CP Spring
Carlisle, PA

Date: 03/06/18 15:05
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Fishing line and lead sinkers fashioned into a mini-bolo weapon would be an effective head-level drone defense.

Date: 03/06/18 15:35
Author: wa4umr

You're going to find jerks like that everywhere. I may have done a few of those things in my younger days but we learn as we have more experience. People are inconsiderate these days, no matter where you are. They cut you off in traffic, walk in front of you taking a picture of your kids in front of the "Welcome to Lake Wobegone" sign, or light up their cell phone in a theater. A little courtesy goes a long way. A little ballast goes a ways also, an buckshot goes even further. Try telling the jerk that you're trying to enjoy the place also. It might not help at that time but if several people do, he might get the message, eventually.

Just south of Louisville, Ky., some guy shot down his neighbor's drone flying over his property. He became known as the "Drone Sleigher."

John

Date: 03/06/18 16:23
Author: Alco251

I was out shooting tugboats and ocean-going ships yesterday and saw these signs in a well-known public access area of Los Angeles Harbor. If I were staking out a photo spot on a steam trip, I'd have a sign like this made and keep it handy.

Date: 03/11/18 10:16
Author: milepost180

The guy was a jerk. (PERIOD)! He can't hover 4' over someone's head. I fly drones in Folkston. I launch from a sight about 1/2 block away from the tracks. No one knows my drone is up there taking pictures. I like to give local railfans rides. The Folkston gentleman, seated, is coming in for landing through "FPV" first person view from my drone. Helping someone understand the technology helps it melt into everyday life. Next time have a friend video the offender and post it on YouTube. The FAA watches and follows up on illegal operations. Let them decide. Think twice before you put on your Patriot hat and shoot down a US registered aircraft.

Date: 03/13/18 06:41
Author: Frisco1522

These maggots first started becoming common during the days of video. You would stake out a spot, set up and ten seconds before the train, sure as hell here would come some slack jawed moron with an Instamatic who would run up to you and start talking while your video is running.
One time a couple of us were all by ourselves and weren't shooting video. This assclown comes roaring up piles into our location with a tripod and video and proclaims "Be quiet I'm shooting video". I accepted this as a challenge and when the video went on, so did I. "LISTEN TO THAT SOB. THAT EFFER IS REALLY WORKING NICE" and went on from there.
He mumbled something and stomped off. The devil made me do it.

Date: 03/18/18 11:05
Author: SP4360

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> These maggots first started becoming common during
> the days of video. You would stake out a spot,
> set up and ten seconds before the train, sure as
> hell here would come some slack jawed moron with
> an Instamatic who would run up to you and start
> talking while your video is running.
> One time a couple of us were all by ourselves and
> weren't shooting video. This assclown comes
> roaring up piles into our location with a tripod
> and video and proclaims "Be quiet I'm shooting
> video". I accepted this as a challenge and when
> the video went on, so did I. "LISTEN TO THAT SOB.
> THAT EFFER IS REALLY WORKING NICE" and went on
> from there.
> He mumbled something and stomped off. The devil
> made me do it

LOL, that's something I would do, right before stepping in front of his camera. I might miss the shot, but I'd damn well make sure he wouldn't get his either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/18 11:06 by SP4360.

Date: 03/26/18 07:31
Author: CZ10

SP4360 Wrote:
> LOL, that's something I would do, right before
> stepping in front of his camera. I might miss the
> shot, but I'd damn well make sure he wouldn't get
> his either.

Years ago I was working safety on a steam excursion. We had a jerk
making a general nuisance of himself on a run-by photo line. Guess
who I decided to stand in front of?

Date: 03/31/18 18:13
Author: Scolagiaco

what did he look like?

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0795 seconds