Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Railfan Technology > 35mm slide scanner?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/20/20 20:55
35mm slide scanner?
Author: Apalachicola721

I have purchased several slides in the last couple months and wanted to see about buying a fairly inexpensive slide scanner (if a low cost one exists).

All of these came from eBay. Does anyone have any recommendations for ones that plug directly to a laptop? I’m not even sure if I’m calling the scanner, correctly.

Thanks!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/20/20 21:49
Re: 35mm slide scanner?
Author: exopr

If you only have a few slides you might consider having someone scan them for you.  There several places that will do that.  Here are two:

https://www.scancafe.com/services/slide-scanning
https://www.digmypics.com/SlideScanning.aspx

I have not used either of these companies but maybe someone on here has and can tell us if they are good.

Date: 10/21/20 02:37
Author: bobwilcox

Scan Cafe did a good job for me a couple of years ago.

exopr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you only have a few slides you might consider
> having someone scan them for you.  There several
> places that will do that.  Here are two:
>
> https://www.scancafe.com/services/slide-scanning
> https://www.digmypics.com/SlideScanning.aspx
>
> I have not used either of these companies but
> maybe someone on here has and can tell us if they
> are good.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 10/21/20 04:03
Author: colehour

You might want to check out slide scanners on the websites of dealers like B&H Photo, Adorama, etc. Last time I checked they had a variety at different price levels.

Several years ago I bought a PrimeFilm 7200 which does a pretty good job, although I don't think that it came with state of the art software. It's OK for my purposes, however. I don't remember the cost, but it was around $200. If you don't plan to scan a lot of slides it may be more cost effective to use a service like Scan Cafe, however. 

Date: 10/21/20 12:50
Author: robj

colehour Wrote:
> You might want to check out slide scanners on the
> websites of dealers like B&H Photo, Adorama, etc.
> Last time I checked they had a variety at
> different price levels.
>
> Several years ago I bought a PrimeFilm 7200 which
> does a pretty good job, although I don't think
> that it came with state of the art software. It's
> OK for my purposes, however. I don't remember the
> cost, but it was around $200. If you don't plan to
> scan a lot of slides it may be more cost effective
> to use a service like Scan Cafe, however. 

They have pretty reasonable"refurbished" esp at the lower end.  However, from the OP you are facing a pretty good learning curve for a small amount of slides so using a service may not be a bad idea.

Bob

Date: 10/21/20 13:12
Author: kenN

Unless you get a REALLY good deal for a used scanner, the more you spend on a scanner the better the pictures will be.  Conversely, saving money by buying a cheap scanner will give you sub-par results.  KJN

Date: 10/21/20 13:41
Author: colehour

kenN Wrote:
> Unless you get a REALLY good deal for a used
> scanner, the more you spend on a scanner the
> better the pictures will be.  Conversely, saving
> money by buying a cheap scanner will give you
> sub-par results.  KJN

I agree. It would also be helpful to decide how the scans are to be used. For example, I will probably not make large prints from my scans. I will be saving the digitalized images mainly for personal viewing on a computer screen. I suppose this would be analagous to having a "snapshot" album. In the event that I want to have a "fine art" print of one or the other slide, I could always have the slide professionally scanned and printed. 

So, a cheaper scanner may produce acceptable results depending on the final use of the scan. 

Date: 10/21/20 13:51
Author: ChooChooDennis

It is all about quality. 

You can do a quick and dirty scan with your phone with the slide held up in front of a white computer screen and shoot with your phone.

in that case, you get this of the Suzy Q.

Or if you use a quality scanner like a Nikon LS-50 Coolscan V ED and you get this of No. 261.

Here is an affordable scanner that will get you internet quality scans.
https://bhpho.to/2TeB7CP

Here is one that will give you an archival scan, one that you can make a big print with. It comes with complex software with a learning curve. 
https://bhpho.to/34kPufk

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 10/21/20 13:58
Author: TCnR

We've had many posts that included the Epson line of flatbed scanners, their system include a system of holders for various sized negatives and transperancies. I've been using an Epson 500 from a few years ago but would be looking for one of the newer, or higher numbered, models. The software has been working ok, post processing with Photoshop Elements,

For anything real serious, like archiving, conversion for publication or high quality prints there are examples of professional level equipment at the B&H site. Once you settle on a possible purchase you might consider searching on TO to see if anybody has already posted about experiences with that model. B&H is highly recommended for their knowledge, their huge catalog, prices and service.

Date: 10/21/20 14:02
Author: robj

ChooChooDennis Wrote:
> It is all about quality. 
>
> You can do a quick and dirty scan with your phone
> with the slide held up in front of a white
> computer screen and shoot with your phone.
>
> in that case, you get this of the Suzy Q.
>
> Or if you use a quality scanner like a Nikon LS-50
> Coolscan V ED and you get this of No. 261.
>
> Here is an affordable scanner that will get you
> internet quality scans.
> https://bhpho.to/2TeB7CP
>
> Here is one that will give you an archival scan,
> one that you can make a big print with. It comes
> with complex software with a learning curve. 
> https://bhpho.to/34kPufk

Wow! when did you start here?  Or  I just missed noting.
Good to see.
Bob Jordan

Date: 10/21/20 14:06
Author: dan

Here is an affordable scanner that will get you internet quality scans.
https://bhpho.to/2TeB7CP

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

---Be  neat to get something new from kodak , been 18 years i think

Date: 10/21/20 19:37

Sorry for the late reply;

I will definitely give both sites a look. I’m looking for a good way to scan and it’s not much. I don’t want to sink into something expensive if it ain’t really necessary.

Thanks again!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/21/20 19:39

I will look into all of these manufacturers first general guidance on prices. A used scanner would be more ideal but based on all of that I have read from these replies (thanks ya’ll) it seems more economical and price efficient for just a few slides to be scanned by someone.

Thanks!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/21/20 19:40

Thanks Bob for being honest. I really appreciate someone saying don’t just go for the scanner, look into a service to do some. I definitely don’t intend on sinking a boat of money on something that I wouldn’t use much. Would be a waste.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/21/20 19:41

These are rosters and few action shots. I want them for posting online, such as Facebook, here or RRPA and personal viewing. I’m only generally focused on a particular railroad in Florida and some in Mississippi, where I live.

I definitely appreciate your recommendation! It is helpful.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/21/20 20:20

Dennis, thanks for the recommendation. Those are two comparatively different quality shots for sure, using two different methods. On a side note, darn to the Suzy Q, nice 261! The detail is great in that one.

I have a friend on Long Island- John Krattinger. He’s in Garden City, I assume you probably know him. He’s big into 35mm shooting still, he’s not too keen of digital. Nobody can hardly afford to shoot film, but I enjoy slides! Thanks for the info.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/21/20 20:22

It seems B&H is the “go to” for photography means, more so film and the slides to accommodate it. Thanks for the recommendation. I don’t got a bus full of dough, so I’m looking at my options- while also paying for more quality. You get whatcha pay for, is definitely the case I see here.

Thanks!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/23/20 08:02
Author: Arved

Remember, not all flatbed scanners can scan slides. 

You might also want to look at using a slide copier attachment for your digital camera.

There's a group on Facebook devoted to scanning film with a dSLR. You don't technically need an dSLR, but there are more options open if you have one.

On the high end of slide duplicating, Nikon offers the ES-1 and ES-2 slide copiers. The ES-1 was designed earlier, for use with the Nikon 55mm Micro (Macro) lense. The ES-2 is updated, and optimized for use with the 40mm Micro (for DX or APS-C sensor cameras) or 60mm (FX, or full frame cameras). You can pick up either of those lenses used, plus an adapter for whater interchangeable lens camera you have, add the ES-2, and you should be a little less than the cost of a mid-priced flatbed or dedicated film scanner.

Most people in the Facebook group (including me) use a copy stand or repurposed enlarger, and put the slide (or film) on top of a light source. This gives some additional flexibility, such as if you need to scan medium or large format film. This precludes the need for the ES-1 or ES-2 (or whatever other slide copier attachment you're considering).

There are some real inexpensive slide duplicators out there that include an auxiliary lens. I don't recommend them because the optical quality of the included lens isn't that good. But it may be good enough if you're just going to post the photos on the web, or make small prints (4x6 prints). "Begin with the end in mind." What do you want to do with the digitized slides? 

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 11/01/20 07:38
Author: ChooChooDennis

Sorry, I do not know the gentleman you mentioned. New York City and its environs are home to millions of people. So while there are elements of small-town life here, I do not know more than three railfans in New York City. 

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 11/09/20 02:33
Author: bobwilcox

"Begin with the end in mind." Good advice for the purchase of any hardware or software.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0777 seconds