Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Railfan Technology > Yaesu ft250 and possible replacement

Date: 09/04/22 10:12
Yaesu ft250 and possible replacement
Author: wilewil

My FT250 is no longer fully usable since the function key is not working.  It still has the AAR freqs installed, and is ok with that.  Additionally, it seems the clone funtion to my computer is also not working (pressing lamp & PTT while turning on doesn't bring up cloning)..

If I were to get a replacement, what would the group recommend?

Date: 09/04/22 12:34
Re: Yaesu ft250 and possible replacement
Author: WW

Please read my dozens of posts on this subject on this forum.  

Date: 09/04/22 13:09
Author: K3HX

I used the FT-250 for years.  I now use the Ft-270 whidh works just fine.  You do not
have to learn another programming system or new functions for menu selections.
Uses the same batteries, antenna (I like the MFJ-1717S) and external mike as the FT-250.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert  K3HX

Date: 09/05/22 08:22

K3HX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used the FT-250 for years.  I now use the
> Ft-270 whidh works just fine.  You do not
> have to learn another programming system or new
> functions for menu selections.
> Uses the same batteries, antenna (I like the
> MFJ-1717S) and external mike as the FT-250.
>
> Be Well,
>
> Tim Colbert  K3HX

I used the predecessor Vertex versions of both radios.  For their time, they were pretty good.  However, the VX-170 (rebadged as the Yaesu FT-270) was not as sensitive or selective as the VX-150.  Also, though the 170 was newer than the 150, it died several years ago--the 150 is still going, though I seldom use it.  For railfanning today, I consider the Uniden BC-125AT scanner to be superior to either Yaesu radio; and, unlike the Yaesus, it will receive the UHF bands where train telemetry (EOT devices, etc.) broadcast--I now consider that almost a necessity, as less and voice traffic is happening on the VHF channels.  As a teaser, I currently have another portable radio on order that, after I get a chance to thoroughly test, I plan to review here.  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/22 08:23 by WW.

Date: 09/05/22 09:07

WW Wrote:
> Please read my dozens of posts on this subject on
> this forum.  

Thank you, I just did that - seems that you would recommend the BC125AT. 

Date: 09/06/22 09:29

wilewil Wrote:
> WW Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> Thank you, I just did that - seems that you would
> recommend the BC125AT. 
>
>  
For most railfans, it is a pretty good choice.  I will repeat the few caveats about it because I think that they are important. 

1.  DO NOT charge the batteries in the radio using the USB cable.  The radio apparently has a problematic charging control that can allow the batteries to overcharge--overheat and physically destroy the radio.  Plus, it takes 14 hours to charge the rechargeable AA batteries in the radio that can be charges in a couple of hours or less in a regular AA rechargeable battery charger.

2.  Get a leather or nylon case for the radio.  The BC-125AT's plastic case will not adequately protect the radio if you drop it onto a hard surface.  The one sold by Uniden is actually a pretty good one that fits the radio well.

3.  Put up with the inconvenience of putting a long, extended range antenna to improve the radio's reception--I like the Diamond RH77CA for this.  

Finally, I put the BC-125AT into the class of a "throw-away" radio.  The radio will likely last for several years with low or moderate use, but they don't have the longevity of a commercial two-way radio.  When the BC-125AT conks out, repairing it is usually cost-ineffective.  

Date: 09/06/22 10:18

Thanks again. 

Date: 09/26/22 18:28
Author: krtz07

I would recommend giving the Icom V-86 with Smiley 5/8 Antenna a try. Yes it only receives a small set of 2M frequencies (136–174 MHz) but the radio is very sensitive with excellent selectivity.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds